Dividing the infrastructure into scan groups (BigFix scenario)
To avoid running into performance issues during scans and imports of data, divide computers in your infrastructure into scan groups and properly set the scan schedule. Start by creating a benchmark scan group on which you can try different scan configurations to achieve optimal import time. After the import time is satisfactory in the benchmark group, divide the rest of your infrastructure into analogical scan groups.
Create a benchmark scan group. The size of the scan group might vary depending on the size of your infrastructure. However, it is best to avoid creating groups larger than 20 000 endpoints. For more information about creating computer groups, see: Lesson 1 (Optional): Creating computer groups in the BigFix console.
- Run the Initiate Software Scan fixlet to scan the computers in this scan group. For more information, see: Initiating software scans (BigFix scenario).
- When the scan finishes, run the Upload Software Scan Results fixlet to upload scan results to the BigFix server. For more information, see: Uploading software scan results (BigFix scenario).
- Run the import of data. Check the import time and decide whether its duration is satisfactory. For more information, see: Scheduling imports of data (BigFix scenario).
- If you are not satisfied with the import time, go to the following directory and check
the import log.
- If the import of scan results takes longer than one third of the entire import time and the volume of data is large (a few millions of entries), create a smaller group.
- If the import of scan results takes longer than one third of the entire import time but the volume of data is low, fine-tune hardware. For more information, see: Hardware requirements.
- After you adjust the scan group, run the software scan again, upload its results to the BigFix server, and run the import of data.
- When you achieve an import time that is satisfactory, decide whether you want to have a
shorter scan cycle. For example, if your environment consists of 42 000 endpoints and you created seven scan groups of 6000 endpoints each, your scan cycle lasts seven days. To shorten the scan cycle, you can try increasing the number of computers in a scan group to 7000. It shortens the scan cycle to six days.Note: After you increase the scan group size, observe the import time to ensure that its performance remains on an acceptable level.
What to do next
Use the following diagram to get an overview of actions and decisions that are needed to achieve the optimal performance of License Metric Tool.