Migrating the License Metric Tool server between computers with the same operating systems
To migrate the License Metric Tool server between two computers with the same operating systems, back up the database of the existing License Metric Tool server and restore it under the new server.
- Ensure that you have audit snapshots generated for the entire period for which you were using the old License Metric Tool server. For information how to generate the audit snapshot, see: Creating snapshots of license metric utilization for auditing purposes.
Upgrade the old License Metric Tool server to the latest
version or at least to version 184.108.40.206. In some cases, upgrading the old server to the latest version is not possible. For example, because you are migrating from Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 which is not supported by newer versions of License Metric Tool. If this is the case, upgrade the server to version 220.127.116.11. To upgrade to the latest version, see: Upgrading components of License Metric Tool (BigFix scenario). To upgrade only to version 18.104.22.168, see: Upgrading from old versions.
- Back up the old License Metric Tool database. Do not start the License Metric Tool server after you complete the backup.
- Optional: If the database engine is installed on the same
computer as the old License Metric Tool server and you want to
migrate the engine as well, install a new database engine on the desired computer. Tip: If you want to install a newer version of DB2, it is possible to restore a backup of the DB2 10.5 database under DB2 11.5.
- Start the installation of the new License Metric Tool server on the desired computer. Follow it until the
step in which you create the License Metric Tool
database. Important: Use the latest version of the License Metric Tool installer that is available.
- Installation procedure
- Configuration step after which you should stop following the procedure. In this step, specify the same database name as the name of the database that is used by the old License Metric Tool server. Do not complete the remaining configuration steps.
- Stop the new License Metric Tool server.
- Optional: If you use the local VM Manager Tool and you want to retain its settings, copy the content
of the config and keydb directories from the computer on
which the old License Metric Tool server is installed to
analogical locations on the computer where the new License Metric Tool server is installed. By default, the directories are in the following location.
- C:\Program Files\ibm\LMT\VMMAN\
- Drop the new License Metric Tool server database and restore the old License Metric Tool server database in its place.
- Start the new License Metric Tool server.
- After you restored the old License Metric Tool
server database, the old BigFix server was added
as a data source in the new License Metric Tool. If the host
name of the old BigFix database is defined as
127.0.0.1, update the value to provide the correct IP address.
- In the new License Metric Tool, go to .
- Select the row with the old BigFix server.
- In the Host field, provide the IP address of the computer on which the old BigFix database is installed. Then, click Save.
- Optional: If any of the following settings were customized in the old
License Metric Tool server, manually recreate them in the new
- Single sign-on configuration
- Server settings and the certificate that are specified on the Server Settings panel
- Settings of password requirements and encryption mechanisms
- Optional: Uninstall the old License Metric Tool server.
All data is visible in the new License Metric Tool.