Migrating the License Metric Tool server between computers with different operating systems
To migrate the License Metric Tool server to a computer with different operating system, install a new License Metric Tool server, connect it to the existing BigFix® server, and migrate configuration of the old License Metric Tool server to the new one. This process requires a considerable amount of work. Some data can be migrated by using REST APIs while other data needs to be moved manually.
Before you begin
- Install the database for the new License Metric Tool. If you are migrating to Windows, install MS SQL Server. If you are migrating to Linux, install DB2.
- Install the new License Metric Tool server on the desired computer.
- Optional: If you use the local VM Manager Tool and you want to retain its settings, copy the content
of the config and keydb directories from the computer on
which the old License Metric Tool server is installed to
analogical locations on the computer where the new License Metric Tool server is installed. By default, the directories are in the following location.
- C:\Program Files\ibm\LMT\VMMAN\
- Restart the License Metric Tool server.
- If you imported part numbers to the old License Metric Tool server, import them to the new License Metric Tool server.
- Recreate software classification in License Metric Tool.
- Log in to License Metric Tool, go to , and click Import Now.
- Recreate the software classification. You can do this manually, or by using REST
- For information about classifying software manually, see: Assigning components to products and Cloud Paks.
- For information about classifying software by using REST APIs, see the following links.
Note: The following actions cannot be completed by using REST APIs. You need to perform them manually.
- Tutorial: Migrating software assignments between two License Metric Tool servers
- Retrieval of software inventory (v2)
- Classifying software (v2)
- Recreate settings of the old License Metric Tool server in the new server. The following settings need to be recreated manually.
The following settings can be recreated by using REST APIs or manually.
- Changed PVU per core values
- Computer groups
- Custom bundling rules
- Custom computer properties
- Custom part numbers
- Declared metric quantity
- Directory servers
- Mail settings
- Metric custom fields
- Metrics assigned to products
- Settings on the Server Settings panel such as the port, protocol, security certificate or data retention period
- Settings on the Session Settings panel such as the session timeout or a custom message on the License Metric Tool login page
- Single Sign-On settings
- Metric thresholds and metric custom field values
- End of support dates
- Software component tags
- Saved reports
- Advanced server settings
- Optional: Uninstall the old License Metric Tool server.