Changing scan configuration from the License Metric Tool user interface (BigFix scenario)
The Scan Configurations panel allows for basic scan management directly from the License Metric Tool user interface. Use the panel if you enabled the default scan configuration or as an alternative to scheduling scans from the BigFix® console.
Before you begin
The panel is used for configuring the time and frequency of software scans that are run on the endpoints. If you enabled the default scan configuration or completed the All-in-One installation, all prerequisites are fulfilled and you can manage scans without any further setup. In other cases, ensure that the required analyses are activated, the scanner is installed on the endpoints, uploads of software scan results are scheduled, and capacity scans and uploads of their results are scheduled. You must complete these actions manually from the BigFix console before you can schedule scans from the License Metric Tool user interface. For more information, see: Manual scan configuration (BigFix scenario).
- It has the All Computers group as its parent. It is not a subgroup of another computer group.
- Definition of this group uses a single Data Source Groups filter as the only condition based on which computers are assigned to this group. Data source groups represent computer groups that were earlier created in the BigFix console.
The panel allows for managing scans on computers that have the BigFix client installed. It does not allow for managing scans on computers that use the disconnected scanner. If only a disconnected data source is configured in License Metric Tool, the panel is hidden.
About this task
You must be an Administrator or an Infrastructure Administrator to perform this task.
When you create scan configuration for a computer group in the License Metric Tool user interface, the Initiate Software Scan action is created and sent to the BigFix server. Each time you change scan configuration on the Scan Configurations panel, the related action is updated on the BigFix server. When you delete the scan configuration, the related action is by default removed from the BigFix server.
If you configure scans on the Scan Configurations panel and then change scan configuration in the BigFix console, information about the change is not reflected on the License Metric Tool user interface. To avoid duplicated scans or unexpected scan behavior, avoid configuring scans in both places and choose your preferred method instead.
- Create computer groups and enable scans for these groups.
- To edit scan configuration, click
, and select the computer group for which
you want to change the scan settings.Note: Each row represents the schedule and status of the software scan for a particular computer group. The row All computers from Data source name represents all computers that report to one BigFix server. The row is created automatically. You can edit or disable the scan schedule for this group.
- Choose the scan frequency and requested start date.
Due to any network latency, the time when the scan actually starts might be several minutes different from the requested start time. The requested start date represents the time and date when the action will be started in accordance to the time zone of the BigFix server.
- Choose the types of software scan to run. For more information about each type of software scan, see: Types of software scans (BigFix scenario).Note: Starting from application update 9.2.33, this step is no longer needed. If you create or change a scan configuration, scan types selection is not present. All scan types are always run.
- To save the changes, click Save and Start Scans. Then, click
OK to confirm that you want to restart the scan action that is running on the
Important: When you change a single scan configuration, all scans that were configured from the License Metric Tool user interface are restarted on the BigFix server.
- Active - The Initiate Software Scan action was started on the BigFix server. The software scan runs according to the schedule defined on the Scan Configurations panel.
- Stopped - The Initiate Software Scan action was stopped on the BigFix server. The software scan is not running. You can re-enable the scan on the Scan Configurations panel or configure the scan from the BigFix console.
- Server unavailable - The scan schedule cannot be displayed and set because the BigFix server or the Web Reports server is not responding. Follow the troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue.