Customizing the Z APM Connect Base default configuration
By using the default configuration process, you configure a default environment for Z APM Connect Base. The default environment can satisfy the requirements for monitoring CICS® TS and IMS. However, under some circumstances, you might need to customize the configuration based on the following considerations.
The Transport Layer Security (TLS) support can be enabled to provide secure, encrypted communications between Z APM Connect Base and Z APM Connect Distributed Gateway. For detailed information, see Securing communications.
PerformanceIf the Z APM Connect CICS TS Data Producer produces excessive amount of data that the Base is unable to keep up with, error messages with return codes are displayed in the CICS TS region or in the Base STC.
If you see the following error messages with the following return codes, customize Z APM Connect Base by creating and starting a second or subsequent Base. For more information, see Creating a second or subsequent Base STC.
- Error messages that indicate that a courier is unavailable because no commands stop the couriers. The most likely error messages are AGMP1311E for CICS TS Data Producer and AGMQ0080E for MQ tracking. In this situation, you might need to allocate extra couriers at startup.
- Return Codes from messages that indicate a problem with the Transaction Tracking API (TTAPI). The most likely return codes are 14, 15, 19, and 20. In this situation, you might need to allocate either extra couriers or extra Base address spaces.
Tip: For optimal performance and problem prevention, it is recommended that you analyze the Base logs from time to time to ensure that messages indicating performance problems do not occur. If you see the error messages as described above in the logs, customize Z APM Connect Base by creating and starting a second or subsequent so that these messages no longer occur in the logs.
Because CICS TS or IMS systems can be owned and operated by different users or departments, CICS TS or IMS systems might be monitored independently.
In this scenario, each of the departments monitoring the z/OS components separately would need to use the same Instana server.Each Base address space must have a unique subsystem ID. By default, all transactions that are tracked by the CICS TS or IMS data producers send TTAPI events to the default Base subsystem. For each CICS TS or IMS Data Producer that does not send events to the default Base Base subsystem, you are required to add an AGMSYSIN DD card in the CICS TS or IMS Data Producer's PROC to send events to another Base address space that you configure. For detailed instructions, see Creating a second or subsequent Base STC, Configuring Z APM Connect CICS TS Data Producer to connect to another subsystem, and Configuring Z APM Connect IMS Data Producer.
The following figure shows a common user scenario of workload isolation.
- User goal: Departments A, B, and C want to monitor the CICS TS systems independently.
- As-is: All the CICS TS Data Producers of Department A, B, and C send TTAPI events to the default Base subsystem ID.
- To-be: Departments A, B, and C send events from CICS TS Data Producers to unique Base subsystem ID.
- How-to: Create two unique Base Bases for Department B and C and customize their CICS TS Data Producers to connect to the unique Base subsystem ID.