InfoSphere MDM administration tasks
InfoSphere® MDM is a feature-rich enterprise application that requires regular administration and configuration.
While you are able to perform many InfoSphere MDM administration and configuration tasks online through the Administration application, certain tasks must still be completed through offline modification of properties files or database tables. The following sections provide examples of which administration and configuration tasks you can perform through the Administration application and which tasks you must perform offline.
Tasks that are performed with the Administration application:
- Creating, editing and terminating Rules of Visibility
- Linking Rules of Visibility and user groups
- Creating, editing and terminating group validations
- Creating, editing and terminating element validations
- Creating, editing and terminating data associations
- Creating and editing code table values
- Creating and editing error messages
- Associating error messages with application components
- Creating user groups
- Linking transactions and user groups
- Creating and editing extension frameworks
The Administration application is a Web-based application that is accessible from your Internet browser. Because access to the Administration application is secure, you must log in to the application with your user ID and password before you can see any data or use the application's features.
Based on your user permissions, not all of the application's functionality may be available. After you log in, your user name is included in every transaction that you perform from the interface and is recorded as Last Update User whenever a transaction modifies the InfoSphere MDM database.
- Rules Module
- Manage Rules of Visibility
- Associate Rules of Visibility with user groups
- Manage group validations
- Manage element validations
- Meta Data Module
- Manage data associations
- Code Tables Module
- Manage code table details
- Manage error messages
- Associate error messages with application components
- Security Module
- Create user groups
- Associate transactions with user groups
- System Module
- Manage the extension framework
- Manage the Transaction Audit Information Log (TAIL)
- The Help icon – Opens the InfoSphere MDM documentation set.
- The Logout icon – Signs you off.
- The View Transactions icon – Allows you to view the XML requests and responses exchanged between the Administration UI and the data hub, if enabled.
- Return – Returns you to the previous page you were viewing.
- Terminate – Expires (does not delete) an entry in the database. For example, a validation parameter. When you terminate an entry, you are applying an end date or expiry date to it in the database table.
- Activate – Enables an entry in the database (tor example, a user group) that was previously terminated. When you activate an entry, you are removing the end date or expiry date that was applied to it.
- Cancel – Discards changes you have made to a page that you have not yet submitted.
- The Scissor icon – Removes an item that you have added. You can find this icon next to items that you have added to a page but have not yet submitted.
- The Magnifying Glass icon – Expands or collapses the details of an item.
- Pagination links – Allow you to move to the next page of information
Tasks that are performed offline:
- Configuring external business rules
- Creating additions
- Deploying extensions and additions
- Aliasing transactions
- Creating database tables
- Configuring the batch transaction process
- Configuring notifications
- Configuring the request/response framework
- Configuring the batch framework
- Configuring suspect processing
- Creating and editing user profiles
- Adding user to user groups and removing users from groups
- Configuring and retrieving audit, TAIL and history information
- Setting data persistency entitlements
- Tracking performance
For more information, see the topics about the tasks that need to be performed offline, including InfoSphere MDM feature configuration.