Differences between in-place upgrade and migration
To successfully move to InfoSphere® Information Server version 11.7, there are a few scenarios to consider. Review the options available in order to optimize your update experience.
- In-place upgrade
- The in-place upgrade allows you to:
- Upgrade your existing installation to the new version with your existing configuration
- Automatically update the internal Db2 databases and WebSphere Application Server (WAS) ND or Liberty Profile if they have not been manually upgraded prior to the upgrade
- Add Enterprise Search as part of the upgrade (optional)
- Move your database assets without using asset interchange to migrate most assets
- The migration process requires that you:
- Install the new version
- Add enterprise search as part of the installation process (optional)
- Export all assets from your current version of InfoSphere Information Server by using asset interchange, and then import them to your new installation. Optionally, you can migrate existing databases as part of the installation process.
- Remove the old software
|Version of Information Server||Is in-place upgrade available?||Is migration available?|
|11.3||Yes (recommended). In-place upgrade to 11.5 and then in-place upgrade to 11.7.||Yes|
See the 11.7 system requirements before starting an in-place upgrade or migration process.