Migrating InfoSphere Information Governance Catalog assets from Version 11.3 or 11.5 to Version 11.7
Use this procedure to migrate InfoSphere® Information Governance Catalog assets and related assets from Version 11.3 or 11.5 of InfoSphere Information Server to Version 11.7.
Review the InfoSphere Information Governance Catalog files and assets that cannot be migrated.
- Migrate common metadata assets, such as databases, data files, and BI reports.
- Migrate InfoSphere DataStage® projects, including jobs, table definitions, and related job assets. Verify that you use the same host name for the engine, the same project names, and so on.
- Migrate InfoSphere DataStage project user environment variables by using IBM InfoSphere DataStage and QualityStage® Administrator.
- Glossary assets
- Extension mapping documents and their contained mappings
- All types of extended data sources and registered asset types
- Custom attribute definitions
- Published queries and user queries
You manually migrate the components of data lineage.
- Re-create all custom attributes on extension mapping documents
in the new system. This step is manual. For more information, see Extending the asset meaning by using custom attributes.
- Migrate all registered asset types. When you need to import metadata from certain other products into the catalog, you must register the additional asset types in the catalog on the target computer. This step is manual. For more information, see the topic
Registration of asset type bundlesin the PDF attachment to this technote.
- Migrate extended data sources and extension mapping documents:
- Export extended data sources and extension mapping documents from Version 11.3 or Version 11.5 by using the istool command line.
- Import extended data sources and extension mapping documents into Version 11.7.
You can also use the InfoSphere Information Governance Catalog user interface to export and import extended data sources and extension mapping documents.
Export of extended data sources and extension mapping documents does not include steward assignments or term assignments. Import of these types of assets is limited to files of 5 MB in size. When you export the assets, you can use the -maxArchiveSize parameter to create multiple files no larger than 5 MB. Warnings are issued if a mapping does not reconcile to an existing source or target asset.
- Migrate data lineage:
- An InfoSphere Information Governance Catalog administrator must identify the InfoSphere DataStage projects and jobs that it is necessary to detect lineage relationships and report data lineage for. The administrator must edit each selected project by selecting each asset, editing it, and selecting Include for Lineage. By default, the Include For Lineage settings for a job have the same value of the transformation project, and can be manually edited and changed to a different value.
- Map any required data connection mappings (previously referred to as database alias mappings) on the new computer. The mapping should be identical to that of the old system. This step is manual.
- Optional: Manually bind InfoSphere DataStage and QualityStage stages to the data source or stage that they read from or write to. This process re-creates the manual bindings of the old system. InfoSphere Information Governance Catalog is able to determine some information about the asset, and display some lineage. Manual binding is recommended if the data flow relationships cannot be automatically detected in InfoSphere Information Governance Catalog.
- Optional: Include or exclude InfoSphere
specifications for lineage. For more information, see Configuring assets for lineage and business lineage reports.
- Optional: Reconfigure business lineage according to the settings of the old system. Include or exclude assets from business lineage.
- Optional: On the target computer, redefine the database schemas so they match the database schemas on your source computer.
- Remap the data source identities.
- On the target computer, import environment variables by using the command-line interface or a batch file.
- Export custom attribute definitions from the source computer
and import them onto the target computer by using the InfoSphere
Information Governance Catalog user
interface. Note: The assets that the custom attribute definitions refer to must exist on your target computer before you import the custom attribute definitions.
- Export and import user-defined and published queries. In InfoSphere Information Governance Catalog, click the Queries tab. Select an asset and click Export. Click Import to import assets.
- Migrate glossary assets:
- Export glossary assets from Version 11.3 or Version 11.5 by using the istool command line.
glossary assets into your new version.
Term history cannot be migrated.
Links to stewards are imported only when the steward is already defined on the new target computer. The selection and definition of a user as a steward is not migrated. For example, if John was defined as a steward in the source environment, even if John exists as a user in the target environment his asset assignments are not migrated unless an administrator adds John as a steward before the import.
You can also migrate glossary assets by using the InfoSphere Information Governance Catalog user interface.