Installing the IBM InfoSphere Glossary Anywhere client manually
You can use an installation wizard to install the IBM® Glossary Anywhere client on your computer, for either an initial installation or an update.
Before you begin
- You must have a user account on IBM InfoSphere® Information Server with an Information Governance Catalog Glossary Basic User role or higher.
- Make sure that Glossary Anywhere is not currently installed on the target computer. If an existing version is installed, remove it before installing the new version. To learn how to retain existing configuration settings, see Retaining settings for InfoSphere Glossary Anywhere.
- The target computer must have a supported version of Microsoft Windows and Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 or later installed. See the InfoSphere Information Server version 11.7.1 system requirements for the specific versions of Windows that are supported.
- Make sure that you have write access to
the target installation directory. To ensure that you have appropriate
access, either log in to the target computer as a Microsoft Windows Administrator
or make sure that the target installation directory is unlocked. Note: If you are not a Microsoft Windows Administrator, and the default target installation directory is locked, you can use the silent installation script.
- You must have Microsoft Windows Internet Explorer, Version 9.0 or later, installed.
- You must have a valid security certificate, either from the target computer or from the server where IBM InfoSphere Information Governance Catalog is installed.
About this task
You can install the Glossary Anywhere client and define user preferences and configuration parameters. When you install the client, the installation process uses the configuration parameters in the provided file config.ini. Settings for text capture, host configuration user preferences (including language), and search are included in this file. You can edit this file to change the parameters. After installation, you can change the settings manually from the Settings panel of the Glossary Anywhere user interface.
- Copy the Glossary Anywhere installation
files to the target computer.
- If an administrator has prepared a shared version of the installation files, copy these prepared files to your local hard disk.
- If an administrator has not prepared a shared version of the
installation files, copy the installation files to your computer directly
from the installation media. To copy the files from the installation
- Locate the compressed file in the BusinessGlossaryAnywhereClient directory in the root of the installation media.
- Copy this file to your local hard disk.
- Uncompress the file.
- Optional: Edit the file config.ini to change the initial settings.
- Double-click the file BGASetup.bat to
start the installation. Follow the prompts to complete the installation.
When installation is complete, the welcome screen is displayed and an Open Book icon is displayed in your Windows system tray. Click OK to close the welcome screen.
- To confirm the connection to the glossary
InfoSphere Information Governance Catalog,
double-click the Open Book icon in the system
tray. If the config.ini file used by the installation process contains valid server configuration settings, Glossary Anywhere displays its Getting Started window. If the config.ini file does not contain valid server configuration settings, an error message is displayed. Follow step 5 to correct the server configuration settings manually.
- To change the server configuration settings, right-click the open book icon and click IBM InfoSphere Information Governance Catalog administrator or IBM InfoSphere Information Server administrator for this information.. Configure, or update if necessary, the server name, server port, user name, and password. Contact your
- The first time that you access Glossary Anywhere,
a general error message will be displayed if the security certificate
from the server is not trusted. If you receive such a message, then
you must install a security certificate on your target computer. One
method of doing so is by following these steps with your Microsoft Windows Internet
Explorer web browser:
- Open Windows Internet
Explorer. In the address field, type the connection information to
connect to InfoSphere
Information Governance Catalog.
Use the following format:
host_serveris the Host Name and
portis the Port Number as configured in the Host Configuration tab of the Glossary Anywhere Settings screen.Note: The following steps describe the procedure to follow with Windows Internet Explorer 7.0. Other Internet Explorer versions might require slightly different steps.
- On the page that warns you about a problem with the security certificate, click Continue to this website (Not recommended.)
- Click Certificate Error at the top of the window, then click View certificates.
- Click the Certification Path tab.
- Click the root path that is displayed at the top of the Certification Path window.
- Click View Certificate.
- Click Install Certificate to launch the Certificate Import Wizard.
- Follow the Certificate Import Wizard prompts, and click Finish.
You can store the certificate in any security store.
- On the Security Warning screen, click Yes to install the certificate.
- Double click the open book icon to reopen Glossary Anywhere and connect to the business glossary.
- Open Windows Internet Explorer. In the address field, type the connection information to connect to InfoSphere Information Governance Catalog.
- Optional: Restore your original customized files.
- Optional: Change other
- Right-click the Open Book icon and click . Configure the method that you want to use to capture text.
- Click the User Preferences tab to define other user parameters. Click OK to save the settings and close the configuration window.
- Click the Search Items tab to define what business glossary content you want to include in searches.
What to do next
If you have no connection errors, you can use Glossary Anywhere. Right-click the Open Book icon in the system tray, then select Open to display the Glossary Anywhere window at any time. Type a string in the Search window to search for terms or categories.
If you have connection errors, check the log file. The log file is in the directory that is in the LogFileDirectory parameter in the config.ini file. Each time that the client is started, a log file is created on the client computer. The name of the log file is BusinessGlossaryAnywhereyyyymmddhhmmss.log, where yyyymmddhhmmss is the year, month, day, hour, minute, and second when the application was started. Verify with the Information Governance Catalog Glossary Administrator that the server name, port number, user name, and password are correct.
You can change the text capture method, user preferences, and configuration values at any time by using the options available from the Settings tab.