Example: Customizing license service annotations
The IBM® MQ Operator automatically adds IBM License Service annotations to the deployed resources. These are monitored by the IBM License Service, and reports are generated that correspond to the required entitlement.
About this task
The annotations added by the IBM MQ Operator are those expected in standard situations, and are based on the license values selected during deployment of a queue manager.
If License is set to L-RJON-BZFQU2 (IBM Cloud Pak for Integration 2021.2.1), and Use is set to NonProduction, then the following annotations are applied:
- cloudpakId: c8b82d189e7545f0892db9ef2731b90d
- cloudpakName: IBM Cloud Pak for Integration
- productChargedContainers: qmgr
- productCloudpakRatio: '4:1'
- productID: 21dfe9a0f00f444f888756d835334909
- productName: IBM MQ Advanced for Non-Production
- productMetric: VIRTUAL_PROCESSOR_CORE
- productVersion: 18.104.22.168
Within the IBM Cloud Pak® for Integration, deployments of IBM App Connect Enterprise include a restricted entitlement for IBM MQ. In these situations, these annotations need to be overridden to assure that the IBM License Service captures the correct usage. To do this, use the approach described in Adding custom annotations and labels to queue manager resources.
For example, if IBM MQ is deployed under IBM App Connect Enterprise entitlement, use the approach shown in the following code fragment:
apiVersion: mq.ibm.com/v1beta1 kind: QueueManager metadata: name: mq4ace namespace: cp4i spec: annotations: productMetric: FREE
There are two other common reasons why license annotations might require modification:
- IBM MQ Advanced is included in the entitlement of another
- In this situation, use the approach previously described for IBM App Connect Enterprise.
- IBM MQ is deployed under an IBM Cloud Pak for Integration license.
- If you have an IBM Cloud Pak for Integration license, you can decide to deploy a queue manager either under the IBM MQ or IBM MQ Advanced ratio. If you deploy under an IBM MQ ratio, you must ensure that you do not use any advanced capabilities such as Native HA or Advanced Message Security.
- In this situation, use the following annotations for production
apiVersion: mq.ibm.com/v1beta1 kind: QueueManager metadata: name: mq4ace namespace: cp4i spec: annotations: productID: c661609261d5471fb4ff8970a36bccea productCloudpakRatio: '4:1' productName: IBM MQ for Production productMetric: VIRTUAL_PROCESSOR_CORE
- Use the following annotations for non-production
apiVersion: mq.ibm.com/v1beta1 kind: QueueManager metadata: name: mq4ace namespace: cp4i spec: annotations: productID: 151bec68564a4a47a14e6fa99266deff productCloudpakRatio: '8:1' productName: IBM MQ for Non-Production productMetric: VIRTUAL_PROCESSOR_CORE