What's New in 7.4?
The following list describes the enhancements made to ILE COBOL in 7.4:
- The new ALLOCATE statement obtains dynamic storage, while the new FREE statement releases dynamic storage that was previously obtained with an ALLOCATE statement.
- The EXIT statement includes the following new formats, which provide
a structured way to exit without using a GO TO statement.
- Format 5, EXIT PERFORM statement for exiting from an inline PERFORM statement.
- Format 6, EXIT PARAGRAPH or EXIT SECTION statement for exiting from the middle of a paragraph or exiting from a section respectively.
- Enhancements are made to the INITIALIZE statement:
- A new FILLER phrase is added so that FILLER data items can be initialized with the INITIALIZE statement.
- A new VALUE phrase is added so that elementary data items can be initialized to the literal specified in the VALUE clause.
- The INITIALIZE statement supports NATIONAL-EDITED as a REPLACING category and can initialize national groups and numeric or numeric-edited data that has USAGE NATIONAL.
- A new format of the SORT statement, the table SORT statement, arranges table elements in a user-specified sequence.
- The following new compiler directives are added to support conditional
- The DEFINE directive defines or undefines a compilation variable.
- The EVALUATE directive provides a multi-branch method of choosing the source lines to include in a compilation group.
- The IF directive provides for a one-way or two-way conditional compilation.
- The new DEFINE parameter for the CRTBNDCBL and CRTCBLMOD commands provides a way to define compilation variables before the compilation begins.
- A new floating comment indicator (the character string '
*>') can be coded to indicate that the ensuing text on a line is an inline comment
Note: There may be screen captures in this guide that contain obsolete references to iSeries.