Software licensing documents
The software licensing documents that you receive with your IBM® i software release order can be either printed or online.
These documents contain important information related to the use, management, and transfer of licensed programs. The licensing documents for IBM licensed programs that you receive are either printed or online on the system. The Customer Notice that is included in your software order describes how to access the online documents.
To automatically install IBM licensed programs that have online software agreements, you need to accept the agreement through the Prepare for Install menu before you can install the programs. An upgrade of the Licensed Internal Code and the IBM i operating system stop if the agreements are not accepted. The topic Required: Accepting software agreements describes how to accept the agreements.
Ensure that you read and understand all software license agreements and documents before you use the programs.
Store the printed agreements and documents in a secure location. Both printed and online agreements need to be passed to the new owner when you transfer a program.
- Proof of Entitlement
- The Proof of Entitlement (PoE) is evidence of the owner's authorization
to use the program and is the official record on entitlement. It is
evidence of eligibility for any version or release updates under software
subscription, warranty services, future upgrade program prices (if
announced), and potential special or promotional opportunities. A
PoE is created for new customer orders or when additional entitlement
An electronic PoE for IBM i software upgrade orders are replacing the printed PoE formerly included with your software products. For instructions on how to access your electronic PoEs and software license keys, refer to the Customer Notice that is included with your software order. Destroy the printed PoEs after you verify the existence and content of the web-based PoE.
- The International Program License Agreement
- The International Program License Agreement (IPLA) provides a nonexclusive license to use a software product that has a warranty.
- International License Agreement for Non-Warranted Programs
- This agreement is similar to the IPLA but is used for IBM licensed programs that have no warranty.
- International License Agreement for Evaluation of Programs
- The Evaluation of Programs provides a nonexclusive, nontransferable license to use a program only for internal evaluation, testing, or demonstration purposes, on a trial or “try-and-buy” basis.
- Licensed Information Document
- The Licensed Information Document (LID) contains specific license information and additional restrictions for a product.
- Software license keys
- For each keyed IBM product
or keyed IBM product option
that you order, a software license key is created. This applies to
both new and upgraded software. You can view, print, or download the
software license keys from the Entitled software
You need to have your customer number and either your order number
or system number that is listed on your software packing list available.
For further instructions on how to access your online software license
keys, refer to the Customer Notice that is included with your software
The Entitled software support website also contains more information on managing IBM software license keys.
For a general description of how software license keys are used, see the topic Working with software agreements and licenses. For unique licensing applications that are regarding logical partitions, see Software licensing for IBM licensed programs on logical partitions.