Windows: Installing S-TAP agent by using the interactive installer
The interactive installer is useful for smaller deployments or whenever a guided, step-by-step installation experience is required.
Before you begin
- Review the Windows S-TAP® installation requirements at Windows: Prerequisites: installing S-TAP.
- Verify that your database server and operating system are supported. For more information, see System Requirements for Guardium® 11.3 and Windows: S-TAP monitoring mechanisms support matrix.
- Identify the IP address of the database server where you are installing the S-TAP, including any virtual IP addresses.
- Identify the IP address of the Guardium system that will control the S-TAP.
- Verify that the intended S-TAP installation directory is empty or does not exist.
- Obtain the S-TAP module from either Fix Central, or from your Guardium representative.
About this task
When you install an S-TAP on a database server, you must provide the IP address or host name of the Guardium system that will receive data from the S-TAP. After the S-TAP has connected to the Guardium system, go to the page and complete the S-TAP configuration.
If you want to disable auto-discovery, clear the Start S-Tap Service checkbox. For more information, see Windows: Auto discovery of database instances during installation and upgrade.
- You can change some Windows S-TAP parameters from the interactive installer (but not all). Use the GUI after you install the S-TAP to change S-TAP parameters that you can't change from the installer.
When you install an S-TAP from the wizard, you can uninstall it from the wizard, the command line, or Windows Add/Remove Programs.
- Log on to the database server with a system administrator account.
Copy the S-TAP module to your database and start the Guardium Windows S-TAP Install
Attention: To install an S-TAP on Windows 2012 or later, you must use administrative privileges. Right-click the installer and choose Run as Administrator.
- Read the license agreement on the Guardium License screen. To continue installation, select I accept the terms of the license agreement and click Next.
- Provide the requested content on the Customer Information screen, then click Next to continue. The default values are appropriate for most installations.
Select one of the
following installation types, and then click Next to continue:
- Typical: a typical installation is appropriate for most users.
- Compact: a compact installation assumes that other features such as Enterprise Load Balancing are not required.
- Custom: use a custom installation allows to modify more S-TAP installation options such as the software choices, installation directory, and the user account that runs the Windows S-TAP process.
Enable Enterprise Load Balancing by selecting the Enable Load
Balancing checkbox on the Load Balancing Options screen. Click
Next to continue.
- If you enable Enterprise Load Balancing, provide the load balancer IP address in the Load Balancer Host Address field.
Click Advanced Options to specify any additional Enterprise Load
For more information, see Enterprise Load Balancing.
Verify the Software Tap Host Address and provide Appliance
Address(es) on the Network Addresses screen, then click
Next to continue.
- The Software Tap Host Address specifies the address of the database where the S-TAP is being installed.
Attention: If you do not want the S-TAP service to be enabled after installation, clear the Start S-Tap Service checkbox. If the S-TAP Service is not started, auto discovery of databases and creation of inspection engines is also disabled.The Install Wizard Completed page appears after a successful installation.
- One or more Appliance Addresses specify the Guardium system addresses that control the S-TAP. Provide multiple addresses (typically not more than three) on separate lines to establish failover systems for the S-TAP or when configuring S-TAP load balancing with the participate_in_load_balancing parameter.
- Click Finish to close the installer.
What to do next
Verify that the S-TAP is communicating with the Guardium system by going to and reviewing the S-TAPs status and configuration.