Windows: Installing S-TAP agent with GIM Setup by Client
When you install S-TAPs on your database servers with the GIM Setup by Client, you can install, upgrade, and manage agents on individual servers or groups of servers. This includes monitoring processes that were installed under its control, modifying S-TAP parameters, and performing other management tasks.
Before you begin
- Review the Windows S-TAP® installation requirements at Windows: Prerequisites: installing S-TAP.
- Your database server and operating system are supported.
- The intended S-TAP installation directory is empty or does not exist.
- The GIM client is installed on the database server where you will install an S-TAP.
- The GIM client on the database server is communicating with the Guardium system. (Look for the client IP in .)
- Obtain the S-TAP module from either Fix Central, or your Guardium representative.
About this task
After installing a GIM client on the database server, installation of the S-TAP for Windows is scheduled from the Guardium system.
The only required parameter is WINSTAP_INSTALL_DIR. It cannot be modified after the installation. All other parameters can be modified after installation.
You can input any parameter in the Setup by Client page, in the Choose parameters row, using the command WINSTAP_CMD_LINE with the syntax parameter=value for [TAP] parameters, or with the syntax -param value for CLI parameters (Windows: S-TAP command line installation parameters), and they are added or updated in the file guard_tap.ini.
Upload the Windows
- On the Guardium® system, navigate to .
- Click Choose File and select the S-TAP module you want to install.
Click Upload to upload the module to the Guardium
After uploading, the module is listed in the Import Uploaded Modules table.
In the Import Uploaded Modules table, click the check box next to the
you want to install.
The module is imported and made available for installation. After the module is imported, the Upload Modules page is reset and the Import Uploaded Modules table is empty.
Follow the GIM instructions in Set up by Client and refer to
Windows: S-TAP GIM installation parameters.
- While the default parameters are acceptable for most installations, you are required to provide a WINSTAP_INSTALL_DIR value. The default value is C:/Program Files/IBM/Windows S-TAP. This is the only required parameter.
- If WINSTAP_TAP_IP (equivalent to the -taphost command line parameter) is not specified, the GIM_CLIENT_IP value is used.
- If WINSTAP_SQLGUARD_IP (equivalent to the -appliance command line parameter) is not specified, the GIM_URL value is used.
- Optionally enable enterprise load balancing. See the parameter description in Windows: S-TAP GIM installation parameters.
- If you want to disable auto-discovery, set WINSTAP_AUTO_DISCOVERY=0. For more information, see Windows: Auto discovery of database instances during installation and upgrade.
What to do next
In the Success popup, click Show Status to open the Status window to monitor the software install/upgrade. Click to refresh the results. If an install/upgrade has a failed status, click Uninstall if you see the button, otherwise, click Reset connection.You can also view the status of the module installation by reviewing the report at .
Verify that the S-TAP is communicating with the Guardium system by going to and reviewing the S-TAPs status and configuration.