Linux-UNIX: Upgrading S-TAP with databases that use an exit library
Understand the flow for upgrading an S-TAP® whose databases use an exit library (Db2, Informix, Teradata).
If you are upgrading your S-TAP from v10.6.0.0 and later, all you need to do is to upgrade your S-TAP. The databases do not need to be stopped, and restart is not required. Database traffic continues to be monitored during the upgrade. After the upgrade the database continues to be fully monitored and fully operational, but using the previous version of the exit library. The next time the database is restarted, the newest version of exit library is automatically used. The restart can be performed at any time, even weeks later. If you have more than one database, or more than one instance of a database, they can be restarted individually; they do not need to be restarted at the same time. If there are any issues addressed in the new library that you are waiting for, however, you must restart the database.
About this task
If you are upgrading your S-TAP from pre-v10.6.0.0 to v10.6.0.0 and later, you must determine whether your exit library is copied or linked.
- If it is copied, then the library needs to be deleted. You'll create a linked library after upgrading the S-TAP.
- If it is linked, make sure it's linked to the library in the standard library paths. If not, you'll remove the link and create new links after you upgrade the S-TAP.
- Stop the database service.
/etc/init.d/tpa stop /etc/init.d/tgtw stop
- Check that the Teradata database is stopped with your Teradata Administrator, or with the
The response should be:
PDE state: DOWN/HARDSTOP
Verify if your exit library is copied or linked, and whether or not the link is correct.
Depending on your database, these are the commands and expected responses if the library is linked
to the standard library path:
ls -l $DB2_PATH/sqllib/security64/plugin/commexit/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 db2inst1 db2iadm1 34 Mar 13 18:24 libguard_db2_exit_64.so -> /usr/lib64/libguard_db2_exit_64.so
ls -l $INFORMIXDIR/lib/libguard_informix_exit_64.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 informix informix 39 May 22 18:31 libguard_informix_exit_64.so -> /usr/lib64/libguard_informix_exit_64.so
ls -l <Teradata_install_directory>/tdat/tgtw/site/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 teradata tdtrusted 39 Jun 25 13:51 libtgtwmonitoring.so -> /usr/lib64/libguard_teradata_exit_64.so
- Upgrade the S-TAP. If the database has a link to the standard library path, the S-TAP automatically updates the link for the new (later) version.
- Start the database service:
/etc/init.d/tpa start /etc/init.d/tgtw start
- Verify that the Teradata database is started with your Teradata Administrator, or with the
The response should be:
PDE state is RUN/STARTED. DBS state is 5: Logons are enabled - The system is quiescent
Your exit library will upgrade the next time you restart your database.