Linux-UNIX: What to restart or reboot on the database server after S-TAP installation or upgrade
This topic details what needs rebooting or restarting after installing or upgrading your S-TAP®. Restart/reboot requirements are the same for GIM and non-GIM implementations.
- What must be restarted after installation of UNIX/Linux S-TAP when using EXIT
- Teradata and Db2: No restart needed.
- Informix: No restart needed. If ifxserver is running, then restart it. If ifxserver is not running, then no need to restart anything.
- What must be restarted after installation of UNIX/Linux S-TAP when using A-TAP
- The database must be restarted when using A-TAP.
- A-TAP should be deactivated and de-instrumented prior to any database software updates.
- What must be restarted after installation of UNIX/Linux S-TAP when using K-TAP
OS/Database Oracle Db2 Sybase Mysql Informix TPC/IPC SHM TPC/IPC SHM TPC/IPC SHM TPC/IPC SHM TPC/IPC SHM Linux NR NR NR REQ NR NR NR NR NR REQ AIX REQ NR REQ NR REQ NR REQ NR REQ NR Solaris NR NR NR NR NR NR NR NR NR NR HP-UX NR NR NR NR NR NR NR NR NR NR
- NR = No restart/reboot required (based on utilizing live update mechanism and referencing live update link if you have one)
- REQ = Restart required
- NA = not applicable
- What must be restarted after a live upgrade of UNIX/Linux S-TAP
- No restarts are necessary at all for live upgrades that do not include A-TAP or exit libraries.
- A-TAP should be deactivated and de-instrumented prior to any S-TAP upgrades.
- When using Exit libraries: Upgrading from v10.6.0.0 and higher, database restart is not required. You can upgrade the S-TAP while the database is running; whenever the database is restarted the next time, the updated exit library is used.
- Upgrading from any release prior to 10.6.0.0: databases using an exit library need restarting.
- Reboot guidelines
- Rebooting the database server is only required when uninstalling K-TAP (whether or not K-TAP is in use).