Configuring data purge
Configure purge in one or both of the Data Archive page or the Data Export page. Although the purge configuration is on the same page, purge is enabled independently of Archive and Export.
About this task
- The default value for purge is 60 days.
- The purge schedule is not affected during an upgrade.
- To purge many records (10 million or higher), a large batch size setting (500k to 1 million) is the most effective. Using a smaller batch size or NULL results in a much slower purge time for large purges. Smaller purges finish quickly. Specify a large batch size for large purges only. Set the purge size with the GuardAPI set_purge_batch_size.
- When a unit type is changed from managed unit to standalone or vice versa, the default purge schedule is applied.
- Purge does not delete records that are still “in use” (for example: open sessions).
Schedule purge on collectors, after the export or archive. Schedule purge on aggregators after the import.
The purge operation does not purge restored data whose age is within the Don't purge restored data for at least timeframe that is specified by a restore operation.
- Check the Purge checkbox.
- Use the Purge data older than field to specify a starting day for the purge operation as a number of days, weeks, or months before the current day, which is day zero. All data from the specified day and all older days is purged, except as noted. The starting purge date must be greater than the Export data older than and Archive data older than values, if export or archive are configured.
- If the data is exported to a non-Guardium system, check Allow purge without exporting or archiving.
- Clear Allow purge without exporting or archiving to prevent purge from running before both export and archive are completed. If archive and export are both configured and this checkbox is selected, the purge process runs with the overall process, meaning it runs after the first of export or archive that completes its run. For example, archive is scheduled to run at 01:00 and export is scheduled to run at 03:00. Purge runs immediately after archive, and probably before the export, and therefore there won't be a file to export. If this checkbox is cleared, then purge runs after both archive and export are complete.