Prerequisites for deploying monitoring agents
Review prerequisites and restrictions before you being deploying monitoring agents.
Before using the deploy monitoring agents tool to install S-TAPs and configure inspection engines on your database servers, verify the following prerequisites.
- The target S-TAP installation directory must be empty or not exist.
- You cannot install an S-TAP into a directory that already contains any files.
- Review S-TAP prerequisites
- Windows: Prerequisites: installing S-TAP
- Linux-UNIX: S-TAP installation prerequisites
- Install GIM clients in listener mode
- Install GIM clients in listener mode on one or more database servers in your environment. To
install the GIM client in listener mode on Windows systems, omit the
--hostparameter. To install the GIM client in listener mode on systems such as AIX and Linux, omit the
--sqlguardipparameter. For more information about GIM listener mode, see GIM server allocation.Important: You may need to open a port between the GIM client on the database server and the Guardium system where you will run the deploy monitoring agents tool. The default port 8445 is used unless you specify a different port when installing the GIM client.
- Upload GIM S-TAP modules to the Guardium system
- Run the deploy monitoring agents tool as an administrative user
from any Guardium system that is not configured as an aggregator. Before you begin, use the
following procedure to upload GIM S-TAP modules to the Guardium system.
- Navigate to .
- Click Choose file and select the module you want to install.
- Click Upload to upload the module to the Guardium system. After uploading, the module will be listed in the Import uploaded modules table.
- In the Import uploaded modules table, click the check box next to the module you want to install. The module will be imported and made available for installation. After the module is imported, the Upload Modules page will reload and the module will no longer appear in the Import uploaded modules table.
For information about S-TAP offerings and supported platforms, see System requirements and supported platforms for IBM Security Guardium.
- Verify that all discoverable database servers are running
- Inspection engines can be automatically configured for some databases, including the following:
- DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Postgre SQL
To allow the auto-configuration of inspection engines, verify that databases servers are running before deploying monitoring agents.