Set up by Client
Quickly deploy S-TAPs and other software packages using the Guardium Installation Manager (GIM) Set up by Client tool.
Before you begin
- GIM clients are installed on database servers and connected to the Guardium system.
- Compatible GIM bundles are uploaded and imported to the Guardium system.
- Navigate to .
In the Choose clients section, select the database servers where you
want to install or update software using GIM. Select individual clients using check boxes in the
table, or use the Select client group menu to select a group of clients.
Click Next to continue.
- To create a client group, click to open the Create client group dialog. Click Add Clients to open the Existing Clients window, select clients and click OK. You can also import from a CSV file by clicking Import from CSV, and selecting your CSV file. This creates a group of type Client Hostname, with Application type of Public. This group can be accessed and managed from the Group Builder.
- After modifying the client list, click to update the client list.
- Use Reset Connection to remove GIM client information from the Guardium system before re-registering the client. After clicking Reset Connection, it may take a few minutes before the current status of the GIM client process is reflected.
- Select a client and click View Installed Modules to open the View Installed Modules window, showing all the modules installed on this client (including S-TAP), their versions, and if any module is in pending state for all the selected clients. (The module COMMON, if it appears, can be ignored.)
- When creating or updating a group and editing the Client Name of GIM clients, the host name and address must reflect a valid value for a GIM client connected to the Guardium system. If an invalid host name is specified, the edited client does not appear as a member of the group. Adding clients by IP address is not supported.
In the Choose bundle section, use the Select a
bundle menu to identify the software you want to install or update. Click
Next to continue.
After selecting a software bundle, the Selected bundle action column indicates the action that will be performed for each client:
- The selected bundle will be installed on the client. This action indicates a first-time installation of the software on the client.
- The bundle will be upgraded on the client. This action indicates that an earlier version of the software is currently installed on the client.
- Update parameters
- The bundle parameters will be updated on the client. This action indicates that the selected software and the currently-installed software are the same version.
- None (bundle not found)
- No actions will be performed, indicating that there are no compatible actions on the client for the selected bundle.
- None (newer version installed)
- No actions will be performed because the selected bundle is older than the version that is currently installed on the client. To install an older version of software, uninstall the currently-installed version before installing the desired version.
- You can filter the clients, for example, by name, module, Selected bundle actions, and client OS. The resulting selection is persistent; the action is applied only to the filtered list of clients. You'll see that the number of clients in the Choose Clients section is greater than the number in Configure Clients section.
- Clear the Show only latest versions check box to view and work with earlier versions of a bundle.
- Clear the Show only bundles check box to identify individual modules within a bundle.
- Select the Show only compatible clients check box to hide clients that are not compatible with the selected bundle.
- By default, the Select a bundle menu shows only the latest uploaded bundle version regardless of platform or compatibility with selected clients. To install a different bundle version for a specific platform or client, clear the Show only latest versions check box and select the required bundle.
- If you upload and import new bundles while using the Set up by Client tool, refresh the browser to see the new bundles.
- If you already have a bundle scheduled for installation, installing a new bundle removes the existing schedule.
In the Choose parameters section, specify values for required and
optional parameters. Use the or icons to add or remove optional parameters. Use the icon to search for parameters by name or description. Click Next to
Important: Unless identified as a client-specific parameter, values provided in the Choose parameters section are applied to all clients where the software will be installed, upgraded, or updated. For client-specific parameters, the value field is disabled and values are defined per-client in the Configure clients section.
In the Configure clients section, use the table to review and edit
parameter values for each client.
Editable parameters show a icon next to the parameter value. Click the icon to edit the value. The Selected bundle action column show the action that will be performed on each client.
- Click Install to begin the software installation. Use the icon to schedule the installation, then click OK to continue.
- To create the Guardium API syntax for the current configuration in the Setup by Client, click Generate GuardAPI. If enough information is available, it generates API commands for multiple clients in the GuardAPI commands dialog. If there isn't enough information, it shows a default template.
What to do next
If you see a Failed installation status for a bundle or module, open the Choose bundle section, select the client,click the Uninstall button, and use the icon to monitor the installation status. If the Uninstall button is not available, open the Choose clients panel, select the affected client, and click the Reset connection button. Use the icon to monitor the client list as the connection is reset.