Storage enclosure battery reconditioning
Over time, or if a battery module has been discharged repeatedly, the battery module capacity reading becomes less and less accurate without periodic reconditioning.
During battery reconditioning, the system recalibrates the battery capacity reading by fully discharging the battery and then fully recharging it.
- Two power supply units must be installed.
- Two battery modules must be installed.
- The second battery module must not be currently undergoing reconditioning.
- Neither battery module can be in an error state.
- A software upgrade must not be in progress.
Automatic battery reconditioning
- If the system determines that battery reconditioning is required, and all prerequisites for reconditioning are met, the reconditioning process will begin 72 hours later.
- If the system loses redundancy or other prerequisites are no longer valid during this 72-hour interval, reconditioning will be postponed for 72 hours. This cycle will be repeated until reconditioning occurs, or the automatic battery reconditioning function is set to 'off.'
chenclosure -batteryautoreconditioning on
You can check the current status of the automatic reconditioning option using the lsenclosure command.
lsenclosure 1 ... battery_auto_reconditioning on
Manual battery reconditioning
When the system determines that battery reconditioning is necessary to restore the precision of
the capacity reading, the storage enclosure management event log displays the message
Battery maintenance discharge cycle required. You can also check the
status of the batteries by entering the lsenclosurebattery command-line interface
(CLI) command. If reconditioning is needed, the
recondition_needed value in the
command output is
You can initiate the battery reconditioning process from the storage enclosure management GUI, or from the storage enclosure CLI.
- From the management GUI, click the Battery maintenance discharge cycle required event message and follow the fix procedure.
- From the command-line interface (CLI), use the chenclosureslot command. For
example, to turn battery conditioning on for slot
chenclosureslot -battery -slot 1 -recondition on 1The output for this command is:
1 1 online reconditioning yes 100 no 1 2 online idle no 92 no 2 1 online idle yes 95 no 2 2 online idle yes 93 no 3 1 online idle no 98 no 3 2 online idle no 97 no 4 1 online idle no 97 no 4 2 online idle no 100 no
You can then confirm that the process has begun successfully.
- In the management event log, the message Battery maintenance discharge cycle started is displayed.
- From the CLI, enter the lsenclosurebattery command. In the resulting output,
- If the reconditioning process completes successfully, the event log displays the message
Battery maintenance discharge cycle complete.
If the reconditioning process fails, the event log displays the message Battery maintenance discharge cycle required, and the detailed event ID text reads Battery failed to calibrate during maintenance discharge cycle
- If the reconditioning process fails, perform the following steps:
- Rerun battery reconditioning, using the battery reconditioning failed fix procedure.
- If battery reconditioning fails a second time, contact IBM®
A battery should not be replaced due to repeated battery reconditioning failures, without further investigation. IBM support will diagnose and replace the battery if needed. If a battery is failing due to another hardware issue that is not battery reconditioning-related, then the battery should be replaced.