Exploring PDSEv2 member generations
Use the PDSEv2 Generations view to browse, compare, copy, and delete partitioned data set extended version 2 data set member generations.
Partitioned data set extended version 2 (PDSEv2) can retain a number of generations of data set members. Generations of a PDSEv2 member are identified by numbers. The current generation is always 0, and previous generations are numbered with positive integers. If a PDSEv2 member has 10 generations, for example, the current generation is 0, the oldest generation is 1, and each subsequent generation number is incremented by 1.
When you allocate a PDSEv2, you specify the maximum number of generations. The default value is 0. When a PDSEv2 member exceeds the maximum number of generations, the oldest generation is discarded. Data set I/O functions, such as read, write, rename, or delete, operate on the current generation.
You can use the PDSEv2 Generations view to browse, compare, copy, and delete partitioned data set extended version 2 data set member generations. For more information about PDSEv2 member generations, see the related topics.
- The Open, Browse, Delete, Copy to the New Generation, Copy, and Compare With menu items in the PDSEv2 Generations view operate on the selected generation.
- The Open, Browse, Delete, Copy, and Compare With menu items in the Remote Systems and z/OS Projects views operate on the current generation.
- To open the PDSEv2 Generations view:
- In the Remote Systems view or the z/OS Projects view, select a PDSEv2 member.
- Right-click and select PDSEv2 Generations.
- Select one or more member generations, and then right-click
and click one of these menu items. To select multiple member generations,
press and hold the Ctrl key while you make your selections.
Option Description Open Opens the selected generation in an editor. This menu item is enabled only when the current generation (0) is selected. Browse Opens the selected generation in read-only mode in an editor. You cannot modify the content in the editor. Delete Deletes the selected generation and refreshes the view. Deleting a generation might create a gap in generation numbers. This menu item is available only when previous generations are selected. Copy to the New Generation Creates a new generation, copies the content of the selected generation to it, and refreshes the view. This menu item is enabled only when one generation is selected. Copy Copies the content of the selected generation to the clipboard. The copy can be pasted as a new member of a partitioned data set in the Remote Systems view or z/OS Projects view. Opens two generations in the comparison editor in read-only mode. This menu item is enabled only when two generations are selected. Older generations are opened in read-only mode.
- Property Group Name
- The name of the property group that is associated with the subsystem.
- Property Group Overrides
- Whether any values in the property group were overridden: Yes or No.