Defining and using data set aliases
You can define aliases for remote data sets and use them in the same way that you use ISPF data set aliases.
Data set aliases have properties that are separate from and can be different from the properties of the referenced data set. When an alias named HLQ.TEST.JCL references HLQ.TEST.COBOL, for example, the default extension of all members in HLQ.TEST.JCL is jcl, while the default extension of the members in HLQ.TEST.COBOL is cbl.
To define an alias for a remote data set:
- From the Remote Systems view, select the data set for which you want to define an alias.2
- Click .
- In the Define Alias window, select or type a high-level qualifier in the list.
- In the Alias Name field, type an alias name for the data set and click OK.
- The rename action is disabled for aliases.
- When you delete an alias, the referenced data set is not deleted. Only the alias is deleted.
- Property Group Name
- The name of the property group that is associated with the subsystem.
- Property Group Overrides
- Whether any values in the property group were overridden: Yes or No.