Allocating a VSAM file from an existing file
Use the Allocate Like menu item to allocate a VSAM file from an existing file.
- In the Remote Systems view, select a VSAM file and right-click to display the menu.
- From the menu, select Allocate Like.
- On the first page of the wizard:
- Accept the name that is provided in the Connection Name field.
- Select or type the high-level qualifier for the data set from the list.
- In the Data Set Name field, specify
the name that follows the combination of high-level qualifier and
period. For example, if the high-level qualifier is MYFILES and if you want to allocate the data set MYFILES.TEST.VSAM, type the string TEST.VSAM in the Data Set Name field.
- Click Next.
- On page two, click Copy characteristics from an existing data set and then click Next to specify allocation values such as VSAM file type, associations, and cluster attributes.
- Specify the allocation values. See the related links for field-level help. For details on what values are required for different uses, contact your z/OS® system administrator.
- To allocate the data set, click Finish.