User ID considerations
The user ID of a z/OS® Explorer user must have at least the following attributes:
- TSO access (with a normal region size). Note: A large region size is required for the user ID that runs the Installation Verification Programs (IVPs) because functions requiring a lot of memory (such as Java™) are executed. You should set the region size to 131072 kilobytes (128 megabytes) or higher.
- An OMVS segment defined to the security system (for example, RACF®), both for the user ID and
its default group.
HOMEfield must refer to a home directory allocated for the user (with READ, WRITE and EXECUTE access).
PROGRAMfield in the OMVS segment should be /bin/sh or other valid z/OS UNIX shell, such as /bin/tcsh.
ASSIZEMAXfield should not be set, so that system defaults are used.
- The user ID does not require UID 0. Example (command LISTUSER userid NORACF OMVS):
USER=userid OMVS INFORMATION ---------------- UID= 0000003200 HOME= /u/userid PROGRAM= /bin/sh CPUTIMEMAX= NONE ASSIZEMAX= NONE FILEPROCMAX= NONE PROCUSERMAX= NONE THREADSMAX= NONE MMAPAREAMAX= NONE
- The user ID’s default group requires a
GID.Example (command LISTGRP group NORACF OMVS):
GROUP group OMVS INFORMATION ---------------- GID= 0000003243
- READ and EXECUTE access to the z/OS Explorer installation and
configuration directories and files, default
- READ, WRITE, and EXECUTE access to the z/OS Explorer
WORKAREA directory, default
/var/zexpl/WORKAREA, and user log directory, default
- READ access to the z/OS Explorer installation data sets, default
- READ, WRITE, and EXECUTE access to the
/tmpdirectory or a directory referenced in the