Guidelines for ClearCase users
A ClearCase® Synchronized Stream is based on a configuration that is specified by a UCM stream or a ClearCase branch and label type. If ClearCase users modify the metadata or change the dynamic view that the New ClearCase-Synchronized Stream wizard creates, synchronization can be disrupted or produce incorrect results.
- The New ClearCase-Synchronized Stream wizard creates a dynamic view that has a distinctive view tag with the prefix DO_NOT_USE. ClearCase users must not have write access to this view.
- Do not use the main branch when creating a synchronized stream (see Step 9 of Creating a ClearCase Synchronized Stream and merge workspace). The branch type is locked while synchronization occurs, and it is not advisable to have the main branch locked in this way. For more information, see Configuration specification details for base ClearCase.
- Do not unlock the label type that is used by a synchronized stream.
- Do not use cleartool rmver, cleartool rmelem, or any graphical interface equivalent of these commands to remove a version or element that is currently synchronized. If you remove the version that was most recently synchronized (imported to a synchronized stream), its predecessor version is selected by the ClearCase dynamic view, but this change is not imported into the synchronized stream. If you remove an element that is synchronized, the element is removed by the ClearCase dynamic view, but this change is not imported into the synchronized stream. If you have removed an element from ClearCase, you must also remove the corresponding file or directory from IBM Engineering Workflow Management (EWM) to avoid synchronization errors.
- Create one synchronized stream that is defined by the same UCM stream or by the same branch and label type. Creating more than one stream increases the chances of synchronization failures due to the stream (or branch) being locked.
- The synchronization process relies on the locale being set to correctly reflect the character set that is used in VOB data to be synchronized. On UNIX systems, you must set the LANG environment variable to an appropriate locale, or setting it to 'C' to use the default locale.
- The executable property of a file stored in ClearCase is preserved during synchronization regardless of any change that is made to that property by EWM.
- When synchronization fails or is blocked, files in the synchronization view might remain checked out. Although it does not disrupt future synchronizations, it does prevent other ClearCase users from checking out the files on the synchronization view stream or branch. These files are checked in by the next successful synchronization process.
- ClearCase users can write triggers that perform ClearCase actions during synchronization. For information about available triggers and behaviors, see Writing ClearCase triggers for synchronization.
- A symbolic link in ClearCase is brought over as a symbolic link in EWM during synchronization, and vice versa. For Windows operating systems, you must have permission to create symbolic links in EWM before you launch the Eclipse client, then you can load or accept symbolic links into a repository workspace. For more information, see Getting started with Engineering Workflow Management source control.