Configuring a synchronization host
The ClearCase Synchronizer installable component must be installed on a ClearCase® client host that supports dynamic views.
About this task
This host (called the synchronization host) is responsible for the initial import and subsequent synchronization operations. The following conditions must be fulfilled on or by the synchronization host:
- The host must be running a supported patch release of
ClearCase 7.1.x or
later, and it must support dynamic views. Note: Although it is possible to select the IBM® Engineering Workflow Management (EWM) host to be the synchronization host, do not do it. This type of configuration requires that ClearCase is installed on the EWM host.
- The cleartool and ratlperl executables must be in the default path for ClearCase users. On some platforms, the path is configured by the ClearCase installation.
- If the synchronization host is running The UNIX System or Linux® and must support synchronization with UCM projects that are enabled for ClearQuest®, the ClearQuest shlib directory (typically located in /opt/rational/clearquest/shlib) must be in the default path for ClearCase users of the synchronization host. In addition, you must configure ratlperl for use with ClearQuest by running the cq_setup script (typically installed under /opt/rational/clearquest) before you start EWM on the synchronization host.
- The synchronization process must be able to
read and write data in the EWM
ClearCase VOBs. To
support this criterion, the following conditions must be true:
- The host must have ClearCase installed, and must have a hardware and network configuration that provides good dynamic view performance.
- An EWM Eclipse client and the ClearCase Synchronizer must be installed on the host.
- If you plan to synchronize with UCM projects that are integrated with ClearQuest, the synchronization host must have a ClearQuest client installed. That client must be configured to have access to those ClearQuest databases that the UCM projects are configured to use, and ClearQuest connection properties must be set correctly in the ClearQuest Properties area of the ClearCase Properties page in the ClearCase Synchronized Stream Properties window.
- Because time-based rules are used when synchronizing with base ClearCase, the synchronization host and the VOB server hosts that it accesses must use a common time source if the ClearCase Synchronized Stream includes files and folders from base ClearCase.
- If a VOB has ever been written to by a client running on an operating system other than Windows, the synchronization host machine must use a non-Windows operating system. Subsequent writing from a non-Windows operating system can cause problems. In addition, non-Windows EWM clients can introduce file names that could be problematic for a Windows-based synchronization host.
for the synchronization process must have permission to perform all of the following
operations on the synchronization host:
- Create views
- Access VOBs
- Check in and check out elements
- Create baselines (UCM only)
- Lock and unlock the stream being synchronized (UCM only)
- Create and remove attributes on the branch being synchronized (non-UCM only)
- Lock and unlock the branch being synchronized (non-UCM only)
- Create and remove attributes on the stream being synchronized (UCM only)
- Create stream (UCM History Importer only)
- Upgrade a no-label baseline to a labeled baseline (UCM only)
- If you deploy ClearCase MultiSite®, the synchronizer for that ClearCase Synchronized Stream (or branch) must be deployed at a site where that stream is mastered. This ensures that the synchronizer has write-access to the synchronized stream.