Importing files and folders from Rational ClearCase
Use the Select Files To Synchronize window to select files and folders from Rational® ClearCase® to synchronize.
It is recommended as a good practice that you initially import a small set of files and folders to verify that the synchronization host is configured properly. After these roots have been successfully imported, you can select a parent synchronization root that is located above all of the initial synchronization roots. After that parent has been imported, the child synchronization roots can be removed from the list for that synchronized stream.
Before you begin
Note: You must be logged on to a host that can access the Rational ClearCase view that is associated with the synchronized stream.
- Open the IBM® Engineering Workflow Management (EWM) client.
- Open the ClearCase-Synchronized Streams view and select a stream to which you would like to add files and folders.
- Click the Select Files to Synchronize () icon.
- On the Select Files To
Synchronize page, select Select files and folders
- To show the list of files and folders that are currently being synchronized, select Show currently synchronized objects in the table.
- To select files and folders by browsing mounted VOBs, click Browse to display VOBs that are mounted by the synchronization host. (To speed up browsing, dismount VOBs that you do not intend to access.) If no VOBs are visible in the window, verify that the VOBs from which you want to import are mounted on the synchronization host. When you have finished selecting files and folders, click OK to close the browser and display the selected paths in the list of Files and folders to synchronize.
- To select files and folders manually, enter a path name that
is visible in the Rational
ClearCase stream that you specified in Creating a ClearCase Synchronized Stream and merge workspace, and then click Add. The path name
must be relative to the view root. If you are using a UCM stream,
the path name must be within a UCM component. All path names that
you specify for import must begin with a VOB tag (without any leading
/ or \ characters) and include the full path from the VOB root to
the project root folder. For example:sources\eclipse_projects\my_projectselects a folder named my_project that is stored in the eclipse_projects folder of the VOB whose VOB tag is \sources.
- To select one or more Rational ClearCase folders in a single VOB and map them to individual EWM SCM components, refer to Preparing a sub-VOB component for base Rational ClearCase synchronization.
- Note: When you select a folder, that folder and the entire subtree below it are selected for import.If you want, you can use the Remove and Edit buttons to modify selected path names after they have been added.
- Click Finish to begin importing
the specified files and folders. Restriction: Unlike Rational ClearCase, EWM does not support hard links. If multiple links to the same file are encountered during an import, only one link target (the final one encountered during the import) remains in the synchronized stream after the import completes. To fix, ensure that only one link exists for a file or directory. If the existing link is not synchronized to EWM, EWM does not automatically move or restore the link to the selected parent directory. You must trigger an update by making a change to the parent folder of the link and then synchronizing.
- When the import is complete, you can use the EWM
Load wizard to specify how the files and folders in the synchronized stream can
be loaded into a repository workspace. For more information, see Loading or unloading repository workspaces.Note:
- During the import, EWM components are automatically mapped to UCM components, sub-VOB components, and VOBs. If this mapping cannot be done (for example, if no suitable VOB is mounted on the synchronization host), the synchronization is blocked until the problem is resolved. For more information, see Imported components in synchronized streams.
- You can also specify new synchronization roots using the CLI (ccc addSyncRoots -append) command. For more information on the ccc addSyncRoots -append, see addSyncRoots.
You can monitor synchronization status in the ClearCase-Synchronized Streams view. For more information, see Running synchronizations.