Configuring a default description
You can configure a default value customization so that new work items include guidance in the Description field.
This task uses Multi-Line HTML to format text in the Description attribute that instructs users how to enter useful descriptions.
About this task
Open the Attribute Customization page.
- In the Team Artifacts view of the Work Items perspective, right-click the project area and select Open.
- Click the Process Configuration tab.
Expand Attribute Customization.
, and then click The Attribute Customization page opens.
Select Default Values and click Add.
The Add Configuration dialog box opens.
- In the Name field, type a name that describes the customization.
- In the Provider list, select Multi-Line HTML.
The Add Configuration dialog box closes.
In the Configuration section of the Attribute
Customization page, in the HTML field, enter the text that you
want to include in the Description field of new work items.
You can use formatting such as bold and italics.Tip: To add formatted text to the HTML field, create the text in another application and then paste it in this field.
In the Configuration section in the left pane, under Types and Attributes.
, click The Types and Attributes page opens.
- In the Work Item Types section, select the work item type, such as Defect or Task, that contains the attribute that you want to apply the customization to.
- Scroll to the Attributes section. Select the attribute to which you want to apply the customization and click Edit.
Alternatively, you can click Add to add an attribute, and then apply the customization to the new attribute.
In the Edit Built-in Attribute dialog box, in the Default
Value list, select the customization and click OK.
- Click Save to save your changes to the project area.
When users create work items, the Description field is populated with the guidance that you specified in the customization.
If you applied the customization to an attribute that you added, you must add a presentation for the new attribute to the work item editor before the customization is displayed in work items. To add a presentation, click Editor Presentations.