Tracking test execution status from within test plans or test suites
You can track test execution status from within a test plan or test suite.
About this task
Starting in version 4, you can view live test case and test suite execution status in a test plan, without the need to use any of the reporting tools. This status is managed entirely by the quality management tool, and shows live data.
For tracking to be useful, it is important that testers provide an Estimate and specify a Weight value when they originally create test cases and test suites. The Estimate and Weight values that testers assign are then propagated to the test case and test suite execution records, which then serve as input to the execution status bars in the test plan or test suite.
To use the status bars to track execution progress:
- From an open test plan or test suite, hover over any of
the execution status bars in the overview section.
- Hover over the Progress Report: Estimate to see a summary of time spent versus estimate.
- Hover over the Progress Report: Points to see a summary of test execution progress compared to weight. The summary shows Points Attempted, Pass, Fail, Blocked, Inconclusive, and Points Unattempted.
- Hover over the Progress Report: Attempts to see a summary of test execution progress compared to the number of tests attempted. The summary shows the number of tests that are in each execution state, for example Pass, Fail, Blocked, In Progress, Inconclusive.
- Click any of the status bars or click Details to open a list of test case execution records.
- Use the filtering and querying features to narrow down the list as needed.
- Use the list to help determine the up-to-the-minute status of your test effort.