Creating components in the QM application
In projects that are enabled for configuration management, you can create components to represent sets of versioned artifacts within a project area. For example, instead of working with all the artifacts from the project in one stream, you can use a component to represent a smaller set of artifacts. You can use a template to add properties to the component, or import them from another component.
Before you begin
- A Quality Management (QM) project area administrator must enable configuration management for the project.
- You must have permission to create components.
- On the toolbar, click Create a component . , and click
- Specify a unique component name. You cannot have duplicate component names within a project area.
The system creates the component with the name that you specify, and an initial stream named component_name Initial Stream.
What to do next
- On the toolbar, click .
- Click Global Configuration and search for the global stream that contains the stream of the new component; then, click OK.
- Make sure that the Current Project Component menu on the toolbar is set
to the component to work in. Multiple components can contribute to a global configuration, so team
members might have to select the component they want: Click this menu, and if the component name
isn't the in the recently-viewed list, click Choose Another Component and
follow the instructions.
After choosing a component, the Current Configuration menu changes to the configuration that this component contributes to the global configuration. The configuration context is set.
On the toolbar, see how the Current Project Component menu shows the component name and the Current Configuration menu shows the global stream name.
- Click .
- Click Quality Management Configuration and search for the stream of the new component that you want to work in.
Whether you work in a global or local configuration context, you can now create artifacts in the component, or clone or copy them from other components. To help you decide whether to clone or copy artifacts, see the table in the related topic about cloning.
You can view or manage the details of the component and any of its streams or baselines on the Manage Components and Configurations page. Click the item type in the list ; then, in the editor choose an option from the Actions menu.