Lesson 4: Explore setting permissions
In this lesson, you learn how to set permissions for a specific role so that they apply to all team areas within the project area. You then learn how to override a permission setting within a team area. Finally, you learn how, as project administrator, you can prevent team leads from overriding a setting in their team areas.
About this task
To customize permission settings:
- While still in the Customization Tutorial Project (Change Management) project area, click Permissions. Click Show by Operation. Scroll to the Work Items category of operations. Expand . Select Create a Epic work item. To prevent users with the Team Member role from creating Epic work items, click the Revoke Permission icon in the Actions column.
- In addition to the role or roles that you assign to a member, all members have the default Everyone role. Permissions are additive, meaning that a member can perform an action if any of the roles that are assigned to that member permit the action. Because the Everyone role allows members to create Epic work items to prevent members who have the Team Member role from creating Epic work items, you must also revoke permission for the Create a Epic work item action for the Everyone role. Select Everyone in the Roles list, then make the change in the Actions column. Click Save to save your changes to the project area.
- To see that the new setting is in effect, click , the User Profile menu
icon and select Log Out. Log on as Wilma. From , the Home menu icon, select
the Customization Tutorial Project (Change Management) project
area. Click to create a work item of type Epic. Enter a name. Select
the Admin UI category in the Filed
Against field to associate the work item with the team
area that Wilma belongs to. Click Save. You
receive the following error message because you do not have permission
to create an Epic work item:
- Now you override the permission setting in the team area. Log out. Click OK in the dialog that warns you that you have unsaved work item changes. Log on as Bert. Click Manage this Project Area from , the Administration menu icon. In the Team Hierarchy section, click the Admin UI team team area. Click Permissions. Click the Team Member role. In the Permitted Actions section, expand Work Items. Select Save Work Item, which selects all of the child actions. Click Save.
- Log out. Log on as Wilma. From , select the Customization Tutorial Project (Change Management) project area. Click to create a work item of type Epic. Again select the Admin UI category in the Filed Against field. Click Save. Now you are allowed to save the work item.
- Finally, you prevent team areas from overriding the permission setting. Log out. Log on
as Bert. Navigate to the project area Permissions page. Click Show
by Operation. Select the Save Work Item operation. In the
Actions column for the Team Member role, click the Edit Operation
Properties icon . Select the Final (ignore customization of this
operation in child areas) checkbox. Click Save. Note: Selecting Final (ignore customization of this operation in child areas) does not change the setting that is displayed for the operation in the team area; it still shows that the Team Member role can create an Epic work item even though the role cannot do that.
- Log out. Log on as Wilma. Try to create an Epic work item again and set the Filed Against field to Admin UI. This time you are not permitted to save the work item.
- Modify permissions for specific roles at the Team Configuration level so that they apply to all team areas in the project area.
- Override a permission setting in a team area.
- Prevent team areas from overriding the settings that you specify at the Team Configuration level.