Linking by attribute
You can quickly and automatically create links between multiple artifacts by artifact attribute.
Before you begin
You can use the Link by Attribute function to automatically create, update, and delete links between artifacts based on an attribute value. To use this feature, type the artifact IDs of the target artifacts (separated by commas) in a custom string attribute type, select Link by Attribute and then follow the prompts. You can use this function in a module, a collection, or in any artifact view.
Note: This feature can also be used with the CSV round-trip support to handle creating and changing links when you import data.
The following example provides a more thorough explanation of how the Link by Attribute function works. The examples show how to create links between multiple artifacts in a single module and between artifacts in different modules. First, the example shows how to complete these tasks:
- Create a custom attribute called
- Add the
MyStringattribute to a Feature artifact type.
- Change the column headings in a sample module to display the
MyStringattribute, and how to run the Link by Attribute function to automatically create the links.
Click the Administration icon and select Manage Project Properties.
Note: If configuration management is enabled for your project, on the Administration menu, click Manage Component Properties.
- Click the Artifact Attributes tab. On the Artifact
Attributes page, click New Attribute and create a custom attribute
that is called MyString with a
stringdata type.Note: You can use any custom attribute type if the type is
stringand is not a predefined system attribute.
- Click the Artifact Types tab and select the
Feature attribute from the Artifact Types
- From the Add Attribute page, select the
MyString attribute, and click OK.
- Click the Artifact tab and then click the Modules tab. Create a sample module that contains several Feature artifacts.
- Change the column headings in the module to show the new MyString
attribute column and the Linked To column.The sample module is displayed with the new columns:
- To create links from Feature 1 to the rest of the features, type the ID of each target
artifact (separated by commas) in the MyString column.
- Then, to automatically create the links, select the check boxes that are next to the
artifacts, and right-click Link by Attribute for 5 Artifacts.
- In the Link by Attribute window, select
MyString from the Attribute list and select
Link To from the Link Type list. Click
OK.The links that you specified are automatically created in the Link To column.
- Complete the following steps to create links from feature type attributes between two
- To create a link from Feature 3 to an artifact in another module, such as to Feature
10 in Module Two, enter the artifact ID of Module Two (377) and the ID of Feature 10 (378),
separated by a period, as shown in the following image:
- Then, select Feature Three (in Module One) and Feature 10 (in Module Two) as shown in
the following side-by-side view of both modules:
- Then, run Link By Attribute and enter the
Attribute and Link To data in the Link by
Attribute window. When you click OK, the link is automatically
created in the Link To column in Module One, as shown in the following
- To create a link from Feature 3 to an artifact in another module, such as to Feature 10 in Module Two, enter the artifact ID of Module Two (377) and the ID of Feature 10 (378), separated by a period, as shown in the following image: