Creating module templates
You can create a module template from an existing module. Module templates offer an easy way to reuse structure and content as a basis for new modules. When you create a module template, you have options to create copies of the headings and other artifacts from the source module, or reuse and share the source content in the new module.
Before you begin
About this task
In a module template, you can reuse the headings and other artifacts that are in the source module, or you can copy (duplicate) them to create headings and other artifacts in the template.
When you create a module template, the content of the module is not saved in the template. If the module that the template is based on is changed, the next artifact that is created based on that template contains the changes.
When you create an artifact template, the content of the artifact is saved in the template. If the artifact that the template is based on is changed, the next artifact that is created based on that template will not contain the changes.
- Open a project in the web client, click the Admin menu (), and click Manage Project Properties.
- Click the Templates tab.
- In the Templates list, click Artifact Templates.
- Click New Template. The Create Template window opens.
- Specify the name and optional description for the template.
- Next to the Create template based on field, click Browse to locate a module for the basis of the template.
- In the Search for artifacts field, enter a partial name or ID for
a module. All artifacts that match the partial entry or ID are displayed in the Select artifact list.
- Select a module as the basis for the new template and click OK.
- In the Create Template window, in the Duplication
policy field, select one of the following options to copy or reuse content in the new
- Duplicate all artifacts: Creates headings and other artifacts. These are copies of the headings and artifacts that are in the source module.
- Duplicate no artifacts: Reuses all existing headings and other artifacts. The only new artifact is the module that a user creates from the template.
- Duplicate all heading artifacts: Creates headings that are copies of the existing ones, and reuses other existing artifacts.
- Re-use all heading artifacts: Reuses existing headings. Creates copies of all other artifacts.
- Duplicate all artifacts specified by a view, re-use all other artifacts: Creates headings and other artifacts that are copies of existing ones if they match the criteria of filters in a saved view. All other headings and artifacts are reused. If you use this option, a menu is displayed from which you can select the view to use.
- Click Create.
What to do next
- To edit the template, click Edit. In the Manage Template window, you can change the template name, description, or duplication policy.
- To modify the content of the module that is the source for the template, click Edit Content. The source module opens. Any changes that you make to reused content affects all instances of that content in the project. Any changes to duplicated content is reflected in any modules that are created subsequently from the template.
- To remove the template from the project, click Delete.