Requiring approvals for state transitions
You can configure work item types to require that they are approved before users can transfer work items from one state to another.
To configure a work item type to require an approval in the Eclipse client:
- In the Team Artifacts view, right-click the project area and select Open.
- In the Project Area editor, click the Process Configuration tab. Expand Team Configuration and click Operation Behavior.
- Click the Save Work Item cell for the role to which you want to add the precondition.
- In the Preconditions section, click Add. Select Required Approvals. Click OK.
- Expand the work item type, such as Defect or Task, to which you want to add the precondition. Select the state for which you want the precondition to apply.
- Click Edit. Select one or more approvals. For example, you might want to require approvals of types Approval and Verification. Click OK.
- Click Save to save your changes to the project area.
When a user tries to save a work item that requires an approval for a state transition, and the work item is not approved, the save operation fails and a message is displayed in the Team Advisor.