Client access license management
The IBM Engineering Lifecycle Management products are role-based. When you purchase a client access license for a role, you receive read, write, and comment access to some or all of the capabilities of the applications based on that role.
Client access licenses in this release
When you install the ELM products, you deploy applications, such as the Change and Configuration Management (CCM), Quality Management (QM), and Requirements Management (RM) applications, in addition to Jazz® Team Server. You then use activation kits to install product client access licenses on the Jazz Team Server and assign these licenses to users so that they can access the capabilities provided by the applications.
With role-based licensing, the client access license for a particular role provides read, write, and comment access to some or all of the capabilities of the applications based on that role.
If you have several licenses that are not a subset or superset of one another, and there is no checkout order property configured, then the least expensive of the available licenses is checked out for the given operation.
For more information about installing licenses, see Installing and managing client access license keys.
|Engineering Workflow Management Developer||8|
|Engineering Workflow Management Developer for IBM Enterprise Platforms||9|
|Engineering Workflow Management Contributor||5|
|Engineering Workflow Management Stakeholder||1|
|Engineering Test Management Quality Professional||10|
|Engineering Test Management Contributor||5*|
|Engineering Requirements Management DOORS® Next Analyst||9|
|Engineering Requirements Management DOORS Next Contributor||5|
|IBM Engineering Lifecycle Optimization - Engineering Insights User||7|
|IBM Engineering Systems Design Rhapsody® - Model Manager Systems and Software Engineer||4|
Access to project areas
Licenses unlock capabilities, but they do not grant access to specific project areas. A server administrator or a project area administrator assign roles and permissions to users. For more information about permissions for project areas, see Permissions.
Types of client access licenses
|Roles||Products||Engineering Workflow Management||Engineering Test Management||Engineering Requirements Management DOORS Next||Engineering Rhapsody Model Manager|
|Engineering Lifecycle Management||Engineering Workflow Management||Engineering Test Management||Engineering Requirements Management DOORS Next||Engineering Rhapsody Model Manager||Engineering Insights||Change management||Planning||Software configuration management||Build automation ( 3 )||Test management||Requirements management||Architecture Management||Distributed SCM||Host system development||Jazz Foundation ( 2 )||Simple reporting (using BIRT)|
|Quality Professional||X||RW||RW||R||R||RW||RW ( 6 )||R||RW||RW|
|Contributor||X||X||X||X||RW||RW||R||R||R||R||R||R||RW||RW ( 8 )|
|Stakeholder ( 4 )||X||X||RW||R||RW||RW|
|Developer for IBM Enterprise Platforms||X||RW||RW||RW||RW||R||R||R||RW||RW||RW||RW|
|Systems and Software Engineer||X||RW||RW||RW (9)||R||R||R||RW (9)||RW|
|Everyone||R ( 8 )|
|Workgroup editions ( 5 )||Products||Engineering Workflow Management||Engineering Test Management||Engineering Requirements Management DOORS Next||Engineering Rhapsody Model Manager|
|Engineering Lifecycle Management||Engineering Workflow Management||Engineering Test Management||Engineering Requirements Management DOORS Next||Change management||Planning||Software configuration management||Build automation ( 3 )||Test management||Requirements management||Architecture Management||Distributed SCM||Host system development||Jazz Foundation ( 2 )||Simple reporting (using BIRT)|
|Developer for Workgroups [Limit: 50]||X||RW||RW||RW||RW||R||R||R||RW||RW|
|Analyst for Workgroups [Limit: 5]||X||RW||RW||R||R||R||RW||R||RW||RW|
|Quality Professional for Workgroups [Limit: 5]||X||RW||RW||R||R||RW||RW ( 6 )||R||RW||RW|
|Practitioner for Workgroups [Limit: 50]||X||RW||RW||RW||RW||RW||RW||R||RW||RW|
- X = Role is available with this product.
- RW = Read/write access.
- R = Read-only access (and review and comment capability if the user has RW access to Jazz Foundation).
- All users can comment on an artifact if they have at least read (R) access to the artifact and read-write (RW) access to Jazz Foundation.
- The Jazz Foundation capability includes dashboards; review/comment; common reporting (without report customization); and server and project administration.
- Build automation refers to Jazz Team Build with support for multiple build engines, such as Hudson/Jenkins and Build Forge. However, Build Forge licenses are sold separately.
- Point product and ELM deals include a sufficient number of EWM Stakeholder and/or ELM Stakeholder licenses to support users who need to access only the Change Management capability.
- The Workgroup editions differ from Role editions as follows:
- Limited to certain number of licenses per server. See the number in parentheses in table
- No floating licenses, but licenses can be mixed with all types of other licenses
- No support for cross-repository or distributed source-control management (SCM)
- No support for high availability
- The Quality Professional license enables you to create requirements and requirement collections,
but the following operations require an Analyst license:
- Creating custom requirement types in the Requirements Management application
- Creating and editing project and artifact templates for requirements
- Creating and editing most graphical requirements artifacts such as screen flows, user interface sketches, and use case diagrams
- Modifying project types
- Creating project snapshots
- Creating link types
- A user who has not been assigned a client access license has read-only access to the Change Management capability only.
- By default, the Contributor role does not have permissions to display reports. For users in this role to run reports, administrators must configure the project area permissions in the Reports section.
- The Systems and Software Engineer license enables configuration management operations on your models in the Model Management Server deployment mode. Alternatively, if the Model and Code Management Server deployment mode is used, you are entitled to perform configuration management operations on both your models and code. To use the Model and Code Management Server deployment mode, Developer role is required in addition to the Systems and Software Engineer role. The Systems and Software Engineer license must be updated for use with 7.0.1. If you plan to use Engineering Rhapsody Design Manager 22.214.171.124 with applications from IBM Engineering Lifecycle Management 7.x, the license keys for Engineering Rhapsody Design Manager must be updated. See Working with Rhapsody Design Management 126.96.36.199 in Engineering Lifecycle Management 7.x for more information.
Functional user licenses
|Product||Client access license||Description|
|Jazz Team Server||Data Collector||Assigned only to the user ID that runs background data warehouse and reporting tasks.|
|Global Configuration Management Application-Internal||Assigned only to the functional user ID (gc_user) to deploy process templates
for the Global Configuration Management (GCM) application.
To use the GCM application, users must be assigned a role-based client access license. See Table 2.
|Engineering Workflow Management||Build System or ELM Build System||Assigned only to a user ID used by a build system, this license enables the devices in the build system to have read access and write access to all capabilities unless otherwise restricted by process permissions.|
|ClearCase® Synchronizer or ELM ClearCase Synchronizer||This license can be assigned only to the synchronization process account (the account used by a build engine that creates and synchronizes a ClearCase Synchronized Stream). The capabilities are restricted to only those needed by the ClearCase Synchronizer.|
|ClearQuest® Synchronizer or ELM ClearQuest Synchronizer||This license can be assigned only to the single user ID being used by the ClearQuest Synchronizer. The capabilities are restricted to only those capabilities needed by the ClearQuest Synchronizer.|
|Engineering Test Management||Connector or ELM Connector||The Connector client access licenses services Engineering Test Management adapter connections, import/export capability, and ClearQuest connections. This user ID does not allow web access to Engineering Test Management.|
|Engineering Insights||ENI Application-Internal application||Assigned only to the functional user ID for the ENI application to run tasks in the background.|
|Engineering Requirements Management DOORS Next||RM Application-Internal||Assigned only to the functional user ID for the Requirements Management application to run tasks in the background.|
|TRS Consumer-Internal||TRS Consumer - Internal license|
The Engineering Workflow Management functional client access licenses are valid only if you have at least one valid (paid or free) Developer or Practitioner client access license installed on the server.
Types of Developer client access licenses
|Subsequently installed license|
|Developer-10-C||Developer for Workgroups Starter Pack||Developer for Workgroups||Developer or Developer for IBM Enterprise Platforms|
|Support||Cross-server SCM||Support||Cross-server SCM||Support||Cross-server SCM||Support||Cross-server SCM|
|Currently installed license||None||Community support on Jazz.net||Not permitted||Fully supported||Not permitted||Fully supported||Not permitted||Fully supported||Permitted|
|Developer-10-C||Fully supported||Not permitted||Community support on Jazz.net||Not permitted||Community support on Jazz.net||Not permitted|
|Developer for Workgroups Starter Pack||Community support on Jazz.net||Not permitted||Fully supported||Not permitted||Fully supported||Not permitted|
|Developer for Workgroups||Community support on Jazz.net||Not permitted||Fully supported||Not permitted||Fully supported||Not permitted|
|Developer or Developer for IBM Enterprise Platforms||Community support on Jazz.net||Not permitted||Fully supported||Not permitted||Fully supported||Not permitted|
- Only the Developer-10-C client access license is free
- The Developer for Workgroups Starter Pack represents an upgrade path from the Developer-10-C client access license. It replaces the 10 free licenses with 10 fully supported licenses. You cannot have both the Developer for Workgroups Starter Pack and Developer-10-C installed.
- There is a 50-user limit for Developer for Workgroups client access licenses. The 10-user Developer for Workgroups Starter Pack does not count toward the 50-user limit.
- For the Developer for Workgroups client access license, high availability deployments are not supported.
- For the Developer-10-C, Developer for Workgroups Starter Pack, and Developer for Workgroups
client access licenses, the following restrictions apply.
- Only one activation kit can be installed per server.
- Only one activation kit can be installed across any set of servers sharing the same floating license server.
- To modify source control or build artifacts, activate the Engineering Workflow Management Developer license key.
- To modify test management artifacts, activate the Engineering Test Management Quality Professional license key.
- To modify requirements management artifacts, activate the Engineering Requirements Management DOORS Next Analyst license key.
- To modify architecture management artifacts, activate the Engineering Rhapsody Model Manager Systems and Software Engineer license key.
For any deployment topology, you must install the Engineering Workflow Management Required Base License Keys, including Trials package on any machine with a Jazz Team Server that has one or more registered instances of the Change and Configuration Management application.
After Jazz Team Server is installed, you can install additional license keys. For more information, see Installing and managing client access license keys.
Considerations for multiple Jazz Team Server applications
Client access licenses enable capabilities for all applications that are registered with the same Jazz Team Server application. For example, if you use a Stakeholder license, you have the same capabilities in every Change and Configuration Management application that is registered with that Jazz Team Server: you do not need two licenses to access two CCM applications.
However, if you have multiple Jazz Team Server environments, you need multiple licenses to unlock capabilities on applications that are registered with a different Jazz Team Server. For example, if you have one CCM application registered with a Jazz Team Server, and another CCM application that is registered with a different Jazz Team Server, you need two licenses: one for each CCM application.
- Determine the type of license you want to purchase.
- Go to ibm.com® or contact your IBM sales representative to purchase the product license.