SNMP traps overview
You can configure and use SNMP traps on the IBM® DS8000.
The DS8000 can be set up to send three types of notification:
- SNMP traps
- Email notification
- Call home remote support
You can find information about email notification and call home remote support in the outbound remote support and notification settings worksheets of the IBM DS8000 Introduction and Planning Guide and the online product documentation.
Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) is an application layer network protocol that allows communication between SNMP managers and SNMP agents, using TCP/IP for a transport layer. With SNMP, you can monitor your system and automate event management.
The SNMP protocol defines two terms, agent and manager, instead of the terms client and server, which are used in many other TCP/IP protocols. In the DS8000 system series, the SNMP manager is an application that runs on the host system, and the SNMP agents run on the DS8000 Hardware Management Console (HMC).
SNMP for the DS8000 system series is designed so that agents send traps to the SNMP manager on the host when a problem is detected on the DS8000 storage unit. The traps are sent to a defined IP address. Either you or your IBM service representative must complete corrective action for the trap-related problems.
SNMP defines six generic types of traps and allows definition of specific traps that reference the enterprise or product. The trap sends the following information to the SNMP manager:
- Agent’s object that was affected
- IP address of the agent that sent the trap
- Event description (generic trap and/or specific trap, including trap number)
- Time stamp (time and date when the trap was sent)
- Optional specific trap identification
- List of variables that describe the trap
SNMP trap categoriesThere are two categories of SNMP traps sent by the DS8000 system.
- SNMP traps that are triggered by serviceable events
- These SNMP traps are configured on the DS8000 HMC GUI by your IBM service representative, according to the specifications you select on the SNMP trap notification worksheet during the storage facility installation.
- SNMP traps that are triggered by storage complex and Copy Services events
- These SNMP traps are configured on the DS8000 system through the DS CLI (command-line interface).