Removing the processor enclosure time-of-day battery (Model 96x)
Before you begin
Use approved electrostatic discharge procedures to prevent damage.
- ___ Throw or immerse into water
- ___ Heat to more than 100 degrees C (212 degrees F)
- ___ Repair or disassemble
Exchange only with the IBM-approved part. Recycle or discard the battery as instructed by local regulations. In the United States, IBM has a process for the collection of this battery. For information, call 1-800-426-4333. Have the IBM part number for the battery unit available when you call. (C002)
Removing the processor enclosure time-of-day battery
- At the front of the processor enclosure,
remove the two screws A (10 mm hex head)
that secure the processor enclosure B to
the rack. See Figure 1.
- Pull the processor enclosure fully
out to the service position.
- Hold the processor enclosure release latches A down on both the left and right sides, and pull the processor enclosure full out. See Figure 2.
- Ensure that each side rail, left and right, are latched out in the fully extended position.
- Remove the processor enclosure service
access cover. See Figure 3.
- Loosen the two thumbscrews A located at the back of the cover.
- Slide the cover toward the back of the processor enclosure. When the front of the service access cover has cleared the upper frame ledge, lift the cover up and off the processor enclosure.
- Remove the time-of-day battery. See Figure 4. Attention: When removing the battery, do not use a metallic tool to disengage it from its slot. Remove the time-of-day battery A from the system backplane, being careful to observe the polarity (+/-) of the battery.CAUTION:If your system has a module containing a lithium battery, replace it only with the same module type made by the same manufacturer. The battery contains lithium and can explode if not properly used, handled, or disposed of. Do not:
- Throw or immerse into water
- Heat to more than 100°C (212°F)
- Repair or disassemble Dispose of the battery as required by local ordinances or regulations.
- Install the service access cover. See Figure 3.
- Place the service access cover on top of the system, about 25 mm (1 in.) from the upper chassis ledge.
- Hold the service access cover against the system unit and slide it toward the front of the system. The tabs of the service access cover slide beneath the upper chassis ledge.
- Align the two thumbscrews A located on the back of the service access cover with the two holes on the back of the system chassis.
- Tighten the thumbscrews to secure the service access cover.
- Push the processor enclosure fully into the rack until it latches in place.
- Install the screws that fasten the processor enclosure in place.