Ensure availability of encryption key servers by adhering to the recommended configurations.
- Key server
- Configure key servers to automatically power on when power is available and to automatically initiate the key server application.
- Configure the key server application to automatically start.
- Configure redundant network fabrics between key servers and encrypting storage. Most storage products support two or more network connections. To improve robustness, provide independent network paths to independent key servers.
- Storage system
- Configure the storage system with the dual Hardware Management Console (HMC) option to provide redundant access to your network. Dual HMCs can be provided by cross-coupling the HMCs on two storage systems or by providing an extra stand-alone HMC for a single storage system. The inability of a storage system to communicate with a key server when it powers on prevents access to encrypted storage on the system.
- Define multiple security administrators and multiple storage administrators on the storage system so that the loss of access to one administrator does not prevent the ability to use a recovery key for recovery purposes. The recovery key must be shared or accessible to all of the security administrators.