Monitoring profile workflows
The workflow for creating monitoring profiles expands on the basic tasks you use when working with monitoring profiles.
About this task
The following steps outline a basic workflow you can use to tailor a monitoring profile to achieve a specific objective.
- Identify your monitoring objectives. Monitoring
you to fine-tune the inclusion and exclusion of specific workloads
from monitoring and thereby determine the type of activity that is
to be collected by Db2 Query
fine-tuning requires a clear understanding of your objectives. For
instance, your objectives might be to:
- Include a workload in exception reporting
- Include a workload in alert reporting
- Exclude Db2 Query Monitor workloads from exception processing
- Exclude a workload from both exception processing and summary reporting
- Define OPTKEY override settings
- Define monitoring profile name and the Db2 Query Monitor plans (if any) to exclude from exception processing. After identifying your objectives, you can start setting up a new monitoring profile. The first steps in doing so are to define a monitoring profile name and identify any Db2 Query Monitor plans you would like to exclude from exception processing. The exclusion of Db2 Query Monitor plans from exception processing is optional.
- Create the necessary monitoring profile lines. You can now create the monitoring profile lines you need to address your objectives.
- Place monitoring profile lines in the proper sequence. The order in which monitoring profile lines are placed within a monitoring profile is important as it determines the order in which Db2 Query Monitor looks for a match and, if found, includes or excludes activity information. Db2 Query Monitor reads the list of profile lines from top to bottom. When a match is found, the activity is processed according to the parameters specified in the matching monitoring profile line and no additional monitoring profile lines in the monitoring profile are considered for that activity. Move the monitoring profile lines in your monitoring profile so they are in the appropriate sequence based on your objectives.
- Associate the monitoring profile with the monitoring agent. In order for the monitoring profile to take effect, you must associate it with a monitoring agent. You can do so from Db2 Query Monitor main menu option 6. Work with Monitoring Agents.