Upgrading your existing routines to Db2® version 11.5 involves managing the changes between Db2 version 11.5 and previous releases that impact these routines and verifying that they function as expected. Managing these changes might require that you modify your routine code, rebuild your external routines, re-create your external routines in the database, and re-create SQL routines.
Test your routines in a Db2 version 11.5 testing environment. If they run successfully, you are not required to change them. You only need to modify your routines to manage any changes between releases, to remove the use of discontinued or deprecated functionality in Db2 version 11.5, or to use new functionality.
Before you begin
- Review upgrade essentials for routines to identify any changes that apply to your routines.
- Ensure that you have access to upgraded Db2 version 11.5 databases. These can be test databases.
- Ensure that you meet the installation requirements for Db2 database products.
- Ensure that the development software is at a version level that is supported by Db2 database products.
- Perform the pre-upgrade tasks for routines.
- Ensure that you have the necessary authorizations and privileges to use the ALTER FUNCTION or ALTER PROCEDURE statements. The authorizations allowed are listed in the SQL Reference Volume 2.
This procedure only applies to SQL routines and external routines programmed in C/C++, COBOL (procedures only), Java™, and .NET languages.
To upgrade your routines to Db2 version 11.5 databases:
- If you identified changes in Db2 version 11.5 that impact your routines, edit your routine code and
- SQL statement syntax
- SQL statements using SQL Administrative views and routines, built-in routines, and catalog views
- User defined routine names that are not fully qualified with a schema names
Application programming interface calls such as JDBC and CLI
- If you identified changes specific to the development environment that impact your routines, modify them to support these changes. Upgrade your:
- Rebuild all changed external routine libraries or if you performed operating system or development software upgrades.
- Test your routines to verify your changes and to ensure that the routines run as expected using Db2 version 11.5.
What to do next
After upgrading your routines, perform the recommended post-upgrade tasks for routines.