logarchmeth2 - Secondary log archive method configuration parameter
This parameter specifies the media type of the secondary destination for logs that are archived from either the current log path or the mirror log path.
- Configuration type
- Applies to
- Database servers with local and remote clients
- Database servers with local clients
- Partitioned database servers with local and remote clients
- Parameter type
- Configurable online.1 2
- Default [range]
- OFF [DISK, DB2REMOTE, TSM, VENDOR]
- Specifies that the log archiving method is not used. If you set both logarchmeth2 and logarchmeth2 configuration parameters to OFF, the database is considered to be using circular logging and is not rollforward recoverable. This is the default.
- You must follow this value with a colon (:) and then a fully qualified existing path name where
the log files will be archived. For example, if you set the logarchmeth2
configuration parameter to DISK:/u/dbuser/archived_logs the archive log files
are placed in the /u/dbuser/archived_logs/instance/dbname/nodename/chainid/
directory.Note: If you are archiving to tape, you can use the db2tapemgr utility to store and retrieve log files.Note: If you are archiving to NFS, it is recommended to mount the NFS system with the nolock option.
- Specifies that remote storage, such as IBM Cloud Object Storage or Amazon Simple Storage Service
(S3), is used to archive the log files. You must follow this value with a colon (:) and specify a
remote storage location by using a storage access alias. The syntax for specifying a remote storage
DB2REMOTE://<alias>/<container>/<object>. For more information, see Remote storage requirements.Note: The DB2REMOTE option is available in Db2 11.5.7 or later.
- If specified without any additional configuration parameters, indicates that log files are archived on the local TSM server by using the default management class. If you follow this option with a colon (:) and a TSM management class, the log files are archived using the specified management class.
- When archiving logs using TSM, before using the management class that is specified by the database configuration parameter, TSM attempts to bind the object to the management class that you specified in the INCLUDE-EXCLUDE list in the TSM client options file. If a match is not found, the default TSM management class that you specified on the TSM server is used. TSM then rebinds the object to the management class that you specified for the database configuration parameter. Thus, the default management class and the management class that you specify for the database configuration parameter must contain an archive copy group, or the archive operation fails.
- Specifies that a vendor library is used to archive the log files. You must follow this value with a colon (:) and the name of the library. The APIs in the library must use the backup and restore APIs for vendor products.
- Log archiving is complete only when both the logarchmeth1 method and the logarchmeth2 method have run successfully.
- If you set either the logarchmeth1 or logarchmeth2 configuration parameter to a value other than OFF, the database is configured for rollforward recovery.
- If you use the userexit or logretain option for the logarchmeth1 configuration parameter, you must set the logarchmeth2 configuration parameter to OFF.
- The archive log path must not contain log files that do not belong to the current database. If the archive log path was previously used for a database of the same name, these log files must be removed before using the current archive log path.
If you use the logarchmeth2 configuration parameter to specify a path, log files will be archived to both this destination and the destination that is specified by the logarchmeth1 database configuration parameter. Which log files the logarchmeth2 configuration parameter archives depends on whether you also set the value of the mirrorlogpath database configuration parameter:
- If you do not set the value of the mirrorlogpath configuration parameter, the logarchmeth2 configuration parameter archives log files from the current log path, as specified by the logpath configuration parameter.
- If you set the value of the mirrorlogpath configuration parameter, the logarchmeth2 configuration parameter archives log files from the mirror log path.
1 If logarchmeth1 is OFF, changing logarchmeth2 from OFF to a value other than OFF will only take effect after the database is reactivated, and an offline backup must be taken before the database can be reactivated.
2 If logarchmeth1 is OFF, changing logarchmeth2 from a value other than OFF to OFF will only take effect after the database is reactivated.