logarchmeth1 - Primary log archive method configuration parameter
You can use this parameter to specify the media type of the primary destination for logs that are archived from the current log path.
- Configuration type
- Applies to
- Database servers with local and remote clients
- Database servers with local clients
- Partitioned database servers with local and remote clients
- Parameter type
- Configurable Online.1 2
- Default [range]
- OFF [LOGRETAIN, USEREXIT, DISK, DB2REMOTE, TSM, VENDOR]
The value that you set for the logarchmeth1 configuration parameter depends on your database environment and your database login requirements.
- Specifies that the log archiving method is not used. If you set both the logarchmeth1 and logarchmeth2 configuration parameters to OFF, which is the default, the database is considered to be using circular logging and is not rollforward recoverable.
- Specifies that active log files are retained and become online archive log files for use in rollforward recovery.
- Specifies that log retention logging is performed and that a user exit program must be used to archive and retrieve the log files. Log files are archived when they are full. They are retrieved when the ROLLFORWARD utility must use them to restore a database.
- You must follow this value with a colon (:) and then a fully qualified existing path name where the log files are archived. For example, if you set the logarchmeth1 configuration parameter to DISK:/u/dbuser/archived_logs, the archive log files are placed in the /u/dbuser/archived_logs/instance/dbname/nodename/logstream/chainid/ directory.
Windows operating systems, you must format the path name by using UNC disk addressing, such as
\\u\dbuser\archived_logs\, or drive letters, such as
C:\u\dbuser\archived_logs.Note: If you are archiving to tape, you can use the db2tapemgr utility to store and retrieve log files.Note: If you are archiving to NFS, it is recommended to mount the NFS system with the nolock option.
- Specifies that remote storage, such as IBM Cloud Object Storage or Amazon Simple Storage Service
(S3), is used to archive the log files. You must follow this value with a colon (:) and specify a
remote storage location by using a storage access alias. The syntax for specifying a remote storage
DB2REMOTE://<alias>//<storage-path>. For more information, see Remote storage requirements.Note: The DB2REMOTE option is available in Db2 11.5.7 or later.
- If specified without any additional configuration parameters, indicates that log files are archived on the local TSM server by using the default management class. If you follow this option with a colon (:) and a TSM management class, the log files are archived by using the specified management class.
- When you are archiving logs by using TSM, before you use the management class that is
specified by the database configuration parameter, TSM attempts to bind the object to the management
class that you specified in the INCLUDE-EXCLUDE list in the TSM client options
file. If a match is not found, the default TSM management class that you specified on the TSM server
is used. TSM then rebinds the object to the management class that you specified for the database
configuration parameter. Thus, the default management class and the management class that you
specify for the database configuration parameter must contain an archive copy group, or the archive
operation fails. Examples of TSM entries are:
- With a management class specified -
db2 update db cfg for mydb using logarchmeth1 TSM:DB2_LOGS
- With no management class specified -
db2 update db cfg for mydb using logarchmeth1 TSM
- With a management class specified -
- Specifies that a vendor library is used to archive the log files. You must follow this value
with a colon (:) and the name of the library. The APIs in the library must use the backup and
restore APIs for vendor products. An example of a vendor entry is -
db2 update db cfg for mydb using logarchmeth1 VENDOR:/home/dbuser/vendorLib/<library name>
- Log archiving is complete only when both the logarchmeth1 method and the logarchmeth2 method have run successfully.
- If you set either the logarchmeth1 or logarchmeth2 configuration parameter to a value other than OFF, the database is configured for rollforward recovery.
- If you use the userexit or logretain option for the logarchmeth1 configuration parameter, you must set the logarchmeth2 configuration parameter to OFF.
- To assign an archive path with a space in it, use the db2CfgSet API.
- The archive log path must not contain log files that do not belong to the current database. If the archive log path was previously used for a database of the same name, these log files must be removed before you use the current archive log path.