Installing IBM data server clients (Linux and UNIX)
To install an IBM® data server client on Linux® or UNIX operating systems, perform the following instructions. The instructions apply to the IBM Data Server Client and the IBM Data Server Runtime Client.
Before you begin
- If the machine already has an earlier version of a client installed, review the topics that cover upgrading.
- Determine whether the IBM Data Server Client or the IBM Data Server Runtime Client best suits your needs.
- Locate a DVD or other installation image that you need. To download
- Go to the IBM Support Fix Central website (www.ibm.com/support/fixcentral/).
- From the Product Group list, select Information Management.
- From the Information Management product list, select IBM Data Server Client Packages.
- From the Installation Version list, select a particular version or all versions.
- From the Platform list, select a particular platform or all platforms, and click Continue.
- Ensure that your system meets all memory, disk space, and installation requirements. The installation program checks the disk space and basic system requirements and notifies you if there is a problem.
- If you are installing an IBM data server client on a Linux operating system, you must update your kernel configuration parameters.
- If you are installing your IBM data server client on an NFS-mounted file system, you must verify that Network File System (NFS) is running.
About this task
If the machine already has a data server product installed, it is not necessary to install a client because the data server provides all the capabilities of the IBM Data Server Client software.
To install any IBM data server client on a Linux or UNIX operating system:
- Insert and mount the appropriate DVD.
- In the directory where the DVD is mounted, start the setup
wizard by entering
- When the Db2Launchpad opens, choose Install a Product.
- Select the client that you want to install.
- Follow the prompts in the setup wizard. Help is available in the wizard to guide you through the remaining steps.
- Linux operating systems
- UNIX operating systems
What to do next
After installing your IBM data server client, configure it to access a remote data server.
National language installations
You can run the setup wizard in a language other than the default system language by manually invoking the setup wizard and specifying a language code. For example, the ./db2setup -i fr command runs the setup wizard in French. However, the setup wizard fields do not accept non-English characters.
Installing on a machine that has an existing Db2® Version 11.1 client
The default directory name for the first copy is V11.5. For additional copies on a particular machine, the default directory name is V11.5_nn, where nn refers to the number of copies that are installed minus one. For example, the second installation has a default directory name of V11.5_01.
Installing the IBM Data Server Client or IBM Data Server Runtime Client on a system that already has a Db2 Version 11.1 client preserves that copy and installs an additional Db2 Version 11.1 or higher copy. For information about upgrading client instances, see the upgrading topics.