IBM Data Server Runtime Client installation command-line options
You can install IBM® Data Server Runtime Client using the db2setup.exe command on Linux® or UNIX operating systems or the setup.exe command on Windows operating systems. The parameters of the two commands are different.
The following list describes selected popular standard Windows Installer command line options available when you run setup.exe to install IBM Data Server Runtime Client on Windows operating systems. For more information about the available Windows Installer options, see http://www.msdn.microsoft.com/.
- /l*v[log file name]
- This option allows you to create a log of the installation. You can use the log to troubleshoot any problems that you encountered during the installation. If you specify a directory, this directory must exist or must be created prior installation. Otherwise, the installation returns an error and fails.
- This option allows you to pass additional command line options and public properties to the Windows Installer. You must specify this option to perform a response file installation.
- This option allows you to perform a silent installation with no User Interface (UI), except for a window that the Windows installer displays while it extracts files from the installation package before it starts the actual installation.
- This option displays a basic user interface which shows simple progress and error message handling and hides the Cancel button, except in a window that the Windows installer displays while it extracts files from the installation package before it starts the actual installation.
- This option allows you to suppress the initialization dialog for the installation.
- This option allow you to change the setup language by specifying the language identifier. For
example, to specify French as the setup language, specify the French language identifier,
setup.exe /L1036 command.
Table 1. Language Identifiers Language Identifier Arabic (Saudi Arabia) 1025 Bulgarian 1026 Chinese (Simplified) 2052 Chinese (Traditional) 1028 Croatian 1050 Czech 1029 Danish 1030 Dutch (Standard) 1043 English 1033 Finnish 1035 French (Standard) 1036 German 1031 Greek 1032 Hebrew 1037 Hungarian 1038 Italian (Standard) 1040 Japanese 1041 Korean 1042 Norwegian (Bokmal) 1044 Polish 1045 Portuguese (Brazilian) 1046 Portuguese (Standard) 2070 Romanian 1048 Russian 1049 Slovak 1051 Slovenian 1060 Spanish (Traditional Sort) 1034 Swedish 1053 Turkish 1055
- These parameters must be the last parameters in the command line.
- RSP_FILE_PATH - This contains the full path to the response file that you use to install Data Server Runtime Client. This is valid only when you specify /qn.
The example assumes that no copy of the client is already installed. If one or more copies exist, the command is different. To install a second copy using a response file, use the following command:
setup /v" /l*v [Full path to a log file] /qn RSP_FILE_PATH=[Full path to the response file]"
setup /v" TRANSFORMS=:InstanceId1.mst MSINEWINSTANCE=1 /qn RSP_FILE_PATH=[Full path to the response file]"
There are cases when the setup.exe cannot be found in the IBM Data Server Runtime Client image. IBM Data Server Runtime Client (RTCL) image is a single .EXE file and does not include the setup.exe. Without the setup.exe, installation must be done by using a response file (silent installation). It is by design that the sample response file is not included in the Runtime Client image.
- Generate the response file, by entering the following command:
db2rspgn -d <a valid path to store the response file>
- Start the silent installation, by entering the following
<RTCL exe> /v"/l*v <log file location> /qn RSP_FILE_PATH=<location of the response file>"
An example would be : v9.5fp4_nt32_rtcl /v"/l*v c:\DB2LOG\db2rtcl.log /qn RSP_FILE_PATH=c:\db2rtcl.rsp"
- On Windows operating systems, the setup.exe file follows the format <release><fix pack><platform><product>.exe. For example, the setup file v10fp1_nt32_rtcl.exe, where release=v10, fix pack= fp1, platform=nt32 and product=rtcl, is used when using the IBM Data Server Runtime Client with version 10.1 Fix Pack 1 on a NT32 platform.
- For RTCL silent installation method, please refer to IBM Data Server Runtime Client installation command-line options.