Deprecated or discontinued functionality that affects Db2 server upgrades
You should be aware of functionality that is deprecated or discontinued in Db2 version 11.1 that can affect the upgrade of your Db2 server. Also, you should be aware of the Db2 products that are no longer supported because upgrade from these products to Db2 version 11.1 is unsupported.
To deal with these functionality changes, you must perform additional tasks before or after upgrade. The following list describes changes that are not included in the pre-upgrade and post-upgrade tasks for Db2 servers:
- Deprecated or discontinued commands
The db2IdentifyType1 command and the STATISTICS YES parameter of the LOAD command are discontinued.
Review Upgrade impact from Db2 command changes to learn what commands are deprecated and discontinued in Db2 version 11.1 and how to manage this impact on your database applications and routines.
- Raw logs
The use of raw devices for database logging has now been discontinued as of Db2 version 11.1 and will not be available in future releases. You should use a file system instead of a raw device. Using a file system with non-buffered I/O capabilities enabled, such as Concurrent I/O (CIO) or Direct I/O (DIO), can give you performance comparable to that of using raw devices. The following example illustrates how to change the newlogpath parameter setting to a file system directory:
db2 UPDATE DATABASE CONFIGURATION USING newlogpath /disk2/newlogdir
The new setting does not become effective until the database is in a consistent state and all users are disconnected from the database. The database manager moves the logs to the new location after the first user connects to the database.
If upgrading a database configured with raw logs to Db2 version 11.1 it is advised to change the newlogpath parameter before you begin the upgrade procedure as the db2ckupgrade utility will fail if it detects a raw device set for the primary log path. If UPGRADE DATABASE detects a raw device is set for the primary log path, it will switch to the default log path so that upgrade processing can proceed. At your earliest convenience you should change the newlogpath parameter to something more suitable.
- Functionality that was deprecated or discontinued in Db2 pre-10.5 releases
- If you are upgrading from Db2 pre-10.5 versions, you must also review the changes made in Db2 10.5, version 10.1 or version 9.7 that might impact your environment after ugprading to Db2 version 11.1. Review the following topic to learn about additional possible impacts on the upgrade of your Db2 server:
- Deprecated or discontinued functionality in Db2 Version 10.5 for upgrade from Db2 version 10.1.
- Deprecated or discontinued functionality in Db2 Version 10.1 for upgrade from Db2 version 9.7.
- Deprecated or discontinued functionality in Db2 Version 9.7 for upgrade from Db2 version 9.5.