Upgrading database applications
Upgrading your existing database applications to Db2® version 11.1 involves managing the changes between version 11.1 and previous releases that impact these applications and verifying that these applications function as expected. Managing these changes might require that you modify your applications code and rebuild your applications.
You only need to modify your application code to manage changes in Db2 version 11.1 that impact your applications, to remove the use of deprecated or discontinued functionality in Db2 version 11.1, or to use new functionality.
Before you begin
- Ensure that you have access to a Db2 version 11.1 server, including instances and databases. The Db2 server can be part of a testing environment.
- Ensure that you meet the installation requirements for Db2 database products.
- Ensure that the development software is at a version level that is supported by Db2 database products.
- Perform the pre-upgrade tasks for database applications.
This procedure only applies to database applications programmed in C, C++, COBOL, FORTRAN, Java™, Perl, PHP, REXX, and .NET languages.
To upgrade your database applications to Db2 version 11.1:
If you identified changed Db2 commands,
changed SQL statements, and changed
system catalog views and built-in functions that impact your applications, edit your
application code or scripts to modify:
- Db2 CLP and system command syntax
- SQL statements syntax
- SQL statements using catalog views and SQL Administrative views and routines
- SQL statements using target tables for write-to-table event monitors
- User defined routine names that are not fully qualified with a schema name
- Db2 API calls
- Application programming interface calls such as JDBC, ODBC and CLI
- If your applications or scripts read from the command output, modify them to read the changed output format.
- If you identified changes specific to the development environment that impact your applications, modify them to support these changes. Upgrade your:
- Rebuild all changed database applications programmed in C/C++, COBOL, FORTRAN, and REXX, using the appropriate Db2 build file and specifying the appropriate Db2 shared library path.
- Test your database applications to verify your changes and to ensure that they run as expected using Db2 version 11.1.
What to do next
After upgrading your database applications, perform the recommended post-upgrade tasks for database applications to ensure that your upgrade was successful.