IBM data server client and driver types
Several types of IBM® clients and drivers are available for the data server. Each client and driver provides a particular type of support.
- IBM Data Server Driver Package(DS driver)
- IBM Data Server Driver Package - Without Encryption
- IBM Data Server Driver for JDBC and SQLJ
- IBM Data Server Driver for ODBC and CLI
- IBM Data Server Driver for ODBC and CLI - Without Encryption
- IBM Data Server Runtime Client
- IBM Data Server Client
You can add Db2 Connect capability to any client or driver.
IBM Data Server Driver Package
The IBM Data Server Driver Package is a lightweight deployment solution that provides runtime support for applications without the need to install the Data Server Runtime Client or Data Server Client. This driver has a small footprint and is designed to be redistributed by independent software vendors (ISVs) and to be used for application distribution in mass deployment scenarios that are typical of large enterprises.
- The Command Line Processor Plus (CLPPlus), for dynamically creating, editing, and running SQL statements and scripts.
- Support for applications that use ODBC, CLI, PHP, or Ruby to access databases.
- On Windows operating systems, support for applications that use .NET or OLE DB to access databases. In addition, this driver package is available as an installable image. Merge modules are available, which you can use to easily embed the driver in a Windows Installer-based installation.
- Support for client applications and applets that are written in the Java™ language using JDBC and for embedded SQL for Java (SQLJ).
- Support for running embedded SQL applications. No precompiler or bind capabilities are provided.
- Application header files to rebuild the PHP, Ruby, Python, and Perl drivers. The Python and Perl drivers are not available in the IBM Data Server Driver Package; however, you can download and build these drivers by using the header files.
- Support for the interactive CLI, by using the db2cli command. Support for DRDA traces, by using the db2drdat command.
- Support for IBM Informix® servers.
The IBM Data Server Driver Package - Without Encryption includes the same capabilities as the IBM Data Server Driver Package, except that encryption functionality is not included.
IBM Data Server Driver for JDBC and SQLJ
The IBM Data Server Driver for JDBC and SQLJ is the default driver for Java stored procedures and user-defined functions. This driver provides support for Java client applications and applets that use JDBC to access local or remote servers and that use SQLJ for embedded static SQL in Java applications. This driver is a prerequisite for IBM InfoSphere® Optim™ pureQuery® Runtime. This product provides static support for Java client applications and applets and enables optimized data access by using the pureQuery API. In addition, this product is supported by a full integrated development environment (IDE) for Java database application development using IBM Data Studio.
IBM Data Server Driver for ODBC and CLI
The Data Server Driver for ODBC and CLI is a lightweight solution that is designed for ISV deployments. This driver, also referred to as the CLI driver, provides runtime support for applications using the ODBC API or CLI API, without the need to install the Data Server Client or the Data Server Runtime Client. This driver is available only as a tar file, not as an installable image. Messages are in English only.
The Data Server Driver for ODBC and CLI - Without Encryption includes the same capabilities as the Data Server Driver for ODBC and CLI, except that encryption functionality is not included.
IBM Data Server Runtime Client
To have command line processor (CLP) support and basic client support for running and deploying applications, use the IBM Data Server Runtime Client. The IBM Data Server Runtime Client provides a way to run applications on remote databases. GUI tools are not shipped with the IBM Data Server Runtime Client.
- All the functionality of the IBM Data Server Driver Package, excluding development tools and libraries.
- The command line processor for issuing commands. The CLP also provides a basic way to remotely administer servers.
- The ASNCLP command-line program, for setting up and administering all replication programs for Q replication and SQL replication.
- Support for common network communication protocols: TCP/IP and named pipes.
- A smaller deployment footprint that requires less installation image size and less required disk space than that of the IBM Data Server Client.
- A catalog that stores information for connecting to databases and servers.
IBM Data Server Client
For applications using DB2CI, use IBM Data Server Client. The IBM Data Server Client includes all the functionality of the IBM Data Server Runtime Client, plus functionality for database administration, application development using an API such as ODBC, CLI, .NET, or JDBC., and client/server configuration.
- The ability to prune the IBM Data Server Client image to reduce the installation image size on the Windows operating system.
- Replication tools to set up and administer all replication programs for Q replication and SQL replication. These tools are the Replication Center, the ASNCLP command-line program, and the Replication Alert Monitor tool. The Replication Center is available only on Linux and Windows operating systems.
- First Steps documentation for new users.
- Visual Studio tools.
- Application header files.
- Precompilers for various programming languages.
- Bind support.
- Samples and tutorials.