What's new in Db2 12
Db2 12 for z/OS® takes Db2 to a new level, both extending the core capabilities and empowering the future. Db2 12 extends the core with new enhancements to scalability, reliability, efficiency, security, and availability. Db2 12 also empowers the next wave of applications in the cloud, mobile, and analytics spaces.
Continuous delivery and function levels
Db2 12 introduces continuous delivery of new capabilities and enhancements in a single service stream as soon as they are ready. The result is that you can benefit from new capabilities and enhancements without waiting for an entire new release. Some new features and capabilities become available as soon as you apply the PTF for the APAR that introduces them. For a list of these features, see New-function APARs for Db2 12.
When necessary, function levels enable you to control the timing of the activation and adoption of new features, with the option to continue to apply corrective and preventative service without adopting new feature function.
For more information about function levels in Db2 and how to activate them, see:
Availability of new features and capabilities in Db2 12
Many new capabilities in Db2 12 are introduced in Db2 12 function levels. However, some become available immediately in the Db2 12 initial release, or when you apply maintenance.
For migration from Db2 11, most new capabilities become available only after you activate function level 500 or higher.
- Virtual storage enhancements
- Virtual storage enhancements become available at the activation of the function level that introduces them or higher. Activation of function level 100 introduces all virtual storage enhancements in the initial Db2 12 release. That is, activation of function level 500 introduces no virtual storage enhancements.
- Subsystem parameters
- New subsystem parameter settings are in effect only when the function level that introduced them or a higher function level is activated. Many subsystem parameter changes in the initial Db2 12 release take effect in function level 500. For more information about subsystem parameter changes in Db2 12, see Subsystem parameter changes in Db2 12.
- Optimization enhancements
- Optimization enhancements become available after the activation of the function level that introduces them or higher, and full prepare of the SQL statements. When a full prepare occurs depends on the statement type:
- For static SQL statements, after bind or rebind of the package
- For non-stabilized dynamic SQL statements, immediately, unless the statement is in the dynamic statement cache
- For stabilized dynamic SQL statements, after invalidation, free, or changed application compatibility level
- SQL capabilities
- New SQL capabilities become available after the activation of the function level that introduces them or higher, for applications that run at the equivalent application compatibility level or higher. New SQL capabilities in the initial Db2 12 release become available in function level 500 for applications that run at the equivalent application compatibility level or higher. You can continue to run SQL statements compatibly with lower function levels, or previous Db2 releases, including Db2 11 and DB2® 10. For details, see Application compatibility levels in Db2