Function level 510 (V12R1M510) (activation enabled by APAR PH33727 - April 2021)
Activating function level 510 (V12R1M510) enforces the completion of various pre-migration activities before migration to Db2 13, and is required before you can migrate a Db2 12 environment to Db2 13. It does not introduce any new features or capabilities, or catalog changes, in Db2 12.
Function level 510 (V12R1M510) verifies and enforces the following pre-migration conditions for migration to Db2 13 in your Db2 12 environment:
- All Db2 12 function levels are activated.
- All catalog updates for Db2 12 are applied, and the Db2 catalog is at the last Db2 12 catalog level.
- All recently used application packages are rebound recently enough to ensure that they are supported by Db2 13.
Activation of function level 510 (V12R1M510) fails if any of these conditions are not met.
Activation details for function level 510 (V12R1M510)
Function level 510 (V12R1M510) has the following activation details:
|Minimum Db2 catalog level:
|Application compatibility control:
How to activate function level 510 (V12R1M510)
The following steps summarize the process for activating this function level. To learn more about how to activate and control the adoption of new capabilities available for use in your Db2 12 environment and continuous delivery in general, see Adopting new capabilities in Db2 12 continuous delivery.
- If Db2 12 is still at function level 100, activate function level 500 or 501 first. For more information, see Activating Db2 12 new function at migration.
- Check that Db2 is at a sufficient code level by issuing a DISPLAY GROUP command, as described in Determining the Db2 code level, catalog level, and function level. The DSN7100I message indicates the Db2 code level for under DB2 LVL in the member details.
DB2 LVL for any member is lower than 121510, apply the PTF for APAR
PH33727 and any other required maintenance, so that all members indicate 121510.Tip: You can apply any PTF at any function level. It is best to run Db2 at this code level or higher for some time before you proceed with activating the function level. Db2 cannot run at any lower code level after you activate a function level, so you cannot remove any of the required PTFs after you activate a function level.
- Run premigration job DSNTIJPE and resolve any release incompatibilities that it identifies.
- Rebind any packages that are identified by the DSNTIJPE job. The job uses the following query to identify packages that were used in the last 18 months and were last bound or rebound in a release before Db2 11, and activation of function level 510 (V12R1M510) succeeds only if this query returns 0 rows.
SELECT * FROM SYSIBM.SYSPACKAGE WHERE LASTUSED >= DATE(DAYS(CURRENT DATE) - 548) AND RELBOUND NOT IN ('P','Q',’R’) AND VALID <> ‘N’ AND OPERATIVE <> ‘N’;
Until you complete this step, DISPLAY GROUP command output indicates HIGHEST POSSIBLE FUNCTION LEVEL (V12R1M509) or lower, depending on the catalog level.Important: If the DISABLE_EDMRTS subsystem parameter setting is YES in your Db2 12 environment, the SYSPACKAGE.LASTUSED column is not reliable. Function level 510 (V12R1M510) activation might succeed even though automatic rebinds remain likely to occur in Db2 13. To avoid such automatic binds from blocking the migration or requiring a fallback, adapt and follow the practices described in Rebind old plans and packages in Db2 11 to avoid disruptive autobinds in Db2 12 as you prepare for migration to Db2 13.
- Tailor the CATMAINT and function level activation jobs by running the installation CLIST:
- In panel DSNTIPA1, specify INSTALL TYPE ===> ACTIVATE. Then, specify the name of the output member from the previous function level activation (or migration) in the INPUT MEMBER field, and specify a new member name in the OUTPUT MEMBER field.
- In panel DSNTIP00, specify TARGET FUNCTON LEVEL ==> V12R1M510. The Db2 installation CLIST uses this value when it tailors the ACTIVATE command in the DSNTIJAF job and the CATMAINT utility control statement in the DSNTIJTC job.
- Proceed through the remaining Db2 installation CLIST panels, and wait for the Db2 installation CLIST to tailor the jobs for the activation process. The output data set contains the tailored jobs for the activation process. For more information, see The Db2 installation CLIST panel session.
- Run the DSNTIJIC job to take an image copy of the Db2 catalog and directory.
- Run the tailored DSNTIJTC job, or run the CATMAINT utility with LEVEL V12R1M510, to update the catalog to the appropriate catalog level. If multiple catalog updates are required, the CATMAINT job processes each update in sequential order. If a later update in the sequence fails, the previous successful updates do not roll back, and the catalog level remains at the highest level reached. If that occurs, you can correct the reason for the failure and resubmit the same CATMAINT job.
- Check that Db2 is ready for function level activation by issuing the following ACTIVATE command with the TEST option:
Db2 issues message DSNU757I to indicate the results. For more information, see Testing Db2 function level activation.
-ACTIVATE FUNCTION LEVEL (V12R1M510) TEST
- Run the tailored DSNTIJAF job, or issue the following ACTIVATE command:
-ACTIVATE FUNCTON LEVEL(V12R1M510)Tip: If older packages run in Db2 12 after you activate function level 510, the HIGHEST POSSIBLE FUNCTION LEVEL value can indicate V12R1M509, even though the HIGHEST ACTIVATED FUNCTION LEVEL value is V12R1M510. In this case, you can still migrate to Db2 13 without any further action. However, possibly disruptive automatic rebinds might occur in Db2 13 unless you rebind these packages first. To determine which packages to rebind, run the queries in the DSNTIJPM or DSNTIJPE migration jobs.
Function level 510 incompatible changes
Function level 510 introduces no incompatible changes.