Creating password aliases in the password map
A password map alias provides the mapping of an alias to plaintext password.
About this task
Each domain has a password map. With an alias, you keep the real password a secret because its plaintext value is stored in an encrypted file. The passwords in a password map are extracted by the DataPower® Gateway when necessary.
- If you do not need these password aliases in this application domain, delete them.
- If password aliases in the
defaultdomain are added or deleted or the password changes for a password alias, the password aliases in the application domain are not added, deleted, or changed. You must independently manage the password map in each domain after initial creation.
- The alias is a publicly known reference and included in configuration files and exports.
- The password for the alias cannot be viewed or accessed by anyone. Only the DataPower Gateway can extract the password that it uses internally.
- No passwords in a map are written to configuration files.
- The password-to-alias map is not part of a backup or export operation.
- The password-to-alias map is part of the secure backup-restore operations.
When a configuration uses an alias instead of a password, the alias must be defined in the password map.
- In the search field, enter
- From the search results, click Password Map Alias.
- Click Add or New.
- Define the basic properties: Name, administrative state, and descriptive summary.
- In the Password fields, enter the plaintext password to alias.
- Click Apply to save the changes to the running configuration.
- Click Save Configuration or Save changes to save the changes to the persisted configuration.